Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu

Ball Lightning

by Cixin Liu

I recently read Cixin Liu’s science fiction Three Body Problem trilogy, and was pretty much blown away. The second book in the series, The Dark Forest, may be the finest science fiction work I have ever read (and I’ve read hundreds). I was anxious to read more of his work and purchased a collection of short stories as soon as I found it. Overall, it was a good read, just not up to the level of the trilogy.

This novel, while recently translated into English, was actually written prior to the Three Body Problem. The subject is the atmospheric phenomenon of ball lightning and a group of researchers and military personnel that study it, capture it and attempt to weaponize it. I found the early parts of the novel to drag somewhat, but then advance strongly to a powerful ending.

The story has a good amount of highly technical language and theories concerning quantum mechanics, which are obviously over the head of almost anyone reading the book, however the author does a masterful job of making the story readable and understandable, without the necessity of a graduate level degree in physics. Cixin Liu is a fantastic story teller and a master in the field of science fiction. ( )
  santhony | Nov 20, 2018 |
Like the collapse of the probability function into the tast of gunpowder tea. ( )
  jefware | Nov 18, 2018 |
A well paced science fiction novel with some strange interpretations of quantum and uncertainty effects. I don't think observation works the way it does in this novel in a sort of abstract way. The pace works well with the material with only a bit of drag, but the agency of the young major Lin Yun seems way beyond any sense, especially with general dad. A real treasure appears on pg 153 - Diaoyutai State Guest House. All those vowel vastly outnumbering the consonants. ( )
  quondame | Sep 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible