Vaimude labürint. Esimene raamat by Carlos…

Vaimude labürint. Esimene raamat (original 2016; edition 2019)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

"The internationally acclaimed, New York Times bestselling author returns to the magnificent universe he constructed in his bestselling novels The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel's Game, and The Prisoner of Heaven in this riveting series finale--a heart-pounding thriller and nail-biting work of suspense which introduces a sexy, seductive new heroine whose investigation shines a light on the dark history of Franco's Spain. In this unforgettable final volume of Ruiz Zafón's cycle of novels set in the universe of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, beautiful and enigmatic Alicia Gris, with the help of the Sempere family, uncovers one of the most shocking conspiracies in all Spanish history. Nine-year-old Alicia lost her parents during the Spanish Civil War when the Nacionales (the fascists) savagely bombed Barcelona in 1938. Twenty years later, she still carries the emotional and physical scars of that violent and terrifying time. Weary of her work as an investigator for Spain's secret police in Madrid, a job she has held for more than a decade, the twenty-nine-year old plans to move on. At the insistence of her boss, Leandro Montalvo, she remains to solve one last case: the mysterious disappearance of Spain's Minister of Culture, Mauricio Valls. With her partner, the intimidating policeman Juan Manuel Vargas, Alicia discovers a possible clue--a rare book by the author Victor Mataix hidden in Valls' office in his Madrid mansion. Valls was the director of the notorious Montjuic Prison in Barcelona during World War II where several writers were imprisoned, including David Martín and Victor Mataix. Traveling to Barcelona on the trail of these writers, Alicia and Vargas meet with several booksellers, including Juan Sempere, who knew her parents. As Alicia and Vargas come closer to finding Valls, they uncover a tangled web of kidnappings and murders tied to the Franco regime, whose corruption is more widespread and horrifying than anyone imagined. Alicia's courageous and uncompromising search for the truth puts her life in peril. Only with the help of a circle of devoted friends will she emerge from the dark labyrinths of Barcelona and its history into the light of the future. In this haunting new novel, Carlos Ruiz Zafón proves yet again that he is a masterful storyteller and pays homage to the world of books, to his ingenious creation of the Cemetery of Forgotten, and to that magical bridge between literature and our lives."--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:Enel.Pungas
Title:Vaimude labürint. Esimene raamat
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Info:Tallinn : Varrak, 2019

The Labyrinth of Spirits by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2016)

English (18)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (28)
My favorite read of 2018! ( )
  EvaJanczaruk | May 31, 2020 |
I'm sad to discover I have not already written a review on this! The publisher sent me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review back in August or September 2019.

Short story: I loved it. It was an immensely full and satisfying read, creating new stories and resolving others, bringing life and love together, and overall proving, once again, what a wonderful writer Zafon is. Although I think this book is best enjoyed after having read the other 3 books in the "series," as with the others, this one also can stand on its own. But... do yourself a favor, pick up Shadow of the Wind and enter Zafon's world. I am sure I will see you there again, one of these days...

FIVE of five stars. ( )
  avanders | Apr 2, 2020 |
Outstanding!! ( )
  Klatooo | Feb 8, 2020 |

I got the feeling about 3/4 of the way through this book that Zafon didn't want to stop writing this story, which was ok, because I didn't want to stop reading it.
I'm feeling a bit lost without Alicia Gris, since she was an important part of my daily life this past month.
It's rare that I tackle a book this long, but after reading the first 3 books of this series, I absolutely had no choice. I needed another trip to the Labyrinth, and Sempere's bookshop. It's even more rare for me to read a multi-book series that contains elements of the supernatural. But I was hooked from the first pages of the Angel's game.
I'm emotionally exhausted by this series and feel as though I am still stuck in Zafon's labyrinth. And I think that's exactly how I'm supposed to feel. Because as he explains at the end of this novel, books are like labyrinths, with no beginnings or endings, just different points of entry.
And really, the great thing about this series, is that the author genuinely wants people to start at different points along the way.

Finally, I need to visit Barcelona, like now, and visit all the places mentioned throughout this series and see if I can find the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and find one that might be waiting there for me. ( )
  Gittel | Jan 7, 2020 |
Wonderful conclusion to a group of interrelated but independent series of books. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 27, 2019 |

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Die nacht droomde ik dat ik terugkeerde naar het Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,616,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible