My Life, My Love, My Legacy by Coretta Scott…

My Life, My Love, My Legacy

by Coretta Scott King

My Life, My Love, My Legacy

I Picked Up This Book Because: Curiosity. Because of who her husband was, who her family was had to make her life different.

The Story:

The story of Coretta Scott King’s life from a small girl in nowhere U.S.A to the wife of one of the most significant civil rights leaders in the world. It is told in depth and unabashedly.

The audiobook has two narrators, the only reason I can think as to why is to show some significance from before and after Martin’s death. The first narrator I found charismatic and easy to listen to. The second narrator was not bad but her tone of voice made me want to go to sleep. Also her material got old quick. There was a lot of blame game happening and while I know being blocked and knocked down at every turn is a major part of the struggle I felt like it got to be too much of he did she did.

Overall I found the book thought provoking. I don’t think I could have done it if I were in Mrs King’s shoes. The constant worry for you husband’s life, the life and well being of your children. Then raising four children alone. She was such a strong woman.

The Random Thoughts:

2.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | May 1, 2017 |
Biog K524k 2017
  ebr_mills | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book. I thought the opening chapter was really powerful, talking about how she wants to people to know her, Coretta, as her own person, rather than just in her various roles. I didn't know much about her and have enjoyed learning more. My only complaint is that it feels like she is name-dropping a bit at times, but that is probably just an accurate reflection of her life! I definitely recommend this book. It is interesting, given today's climate, to hear about the techniques of non-violence from someone who lived the experience. ( )
  Vasquez | Mar 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Earlier, Mrs. King wrote about her life with Martin. This time around, her informative memoir focuses on her own life story (and the hurdles she had to overcome) as Coretta (Corrie to family and close friends), as well as on her love for Martin and her children, and the MLK Center for Nonviolence and other matters she worked on after Martin’s assassination. She also provides insights into Coretta’s friendships and interactions with world leaders, such as Nelson Mandela and Corazon Aquino, as well her thoughts on Jesse Jackson and other black leaders. I learned plenty in this book and now I want to read more on this topic. Excellent book. ( )
  lindapanzo | Feb 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an important book telling the story of a leader in the Civil Rights Movement, often not thought of as one simply because she was the wife of Martin Luther King, Jr. I enjoyed learning more about Mrs. King, as well as her husband, told from her unique perspective. Coretta's passion for being an agent of change continued long after the assassination of MLK Jr. I intend to share this book with many friends and encourage them to learn more about this pivotal era in United States (and even global) history. ( )
  zdufran | Feb 6, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Coretta Scott King's book My Life, My Love, My Legacy is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,629,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible