Best of Women's Short Stories, Volume 3 by…

Best of Women's Short Stories, Volume 3

by Juliet Stevenson (Narrator)

Other authors: Louisa May Alcott (Contributor), Rosalind Ayres (Narrator), Sabine Baring-Gould (Contributor), Wilkie Collins (Contributor), Barbara Leigh-Hunt (Contributor)5 more, Katherine Mansfield (Contributor), Marcel Proust (Contributor), Saki (Contributor), Harriet Walter (Narrator), Edith Wharton (Contributor)

Series: Best of Women's Short Stories (3)

422,481,920 (3)6
This landmark tribute to women writers and literature features such acclaimed authors as Louisa May Alcott, Sabine Baring-Gould, Edith Wharton, and Saki.
Recently added byVivienneR, winteralli, dimajazz

Ten excellent stories by Wilkie Collins, Edith Wharton, Louisa May Alcott, Sabine Baring-Gould, Marcel Proust, and Katherine Mansfield. However, I have to say I enjoyed volume 2 more. Outstanding narration by Juliet Stevenson, Harriet Walter, and others.

I was intrigued by Perilous Play by Louisa May Alcott, where a group of socialites get together to enjoy hashish bonbons. Rose (one of the characters said to be based on Alcott) tries the hashish because "I hoped it would make me soft and lovable, like other women. I'm tired of being a lonely statue." It ends with her love interest declaring, "Heaven bless hashish if its dreams end like this!" Her accurate description of the effects suggests Alcott a familiarity with the drug. Alcott scholar Madeline Stern states that at the time it was freely available at six cents a stick. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 14, 2019 |
Another book I was looking forward to but the playaway doesn't work no matter how many batteries I put in. This is the 3rd playaway that wouldn't play.
  dimajazz | Oct 13, 2009 |

Proust, MarcelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
SakiContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter, HarrietNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wharton, EdithContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Containing ten wonderful stories read captivatingly by Rosalind Ayres, Barbara Leigh-Hunt, Juliet Stevenson and Harriet Walter, this collection is a winner with everyone. All stories have been carefully chosen for their strong female characters and are full of humour, drama and insight. Also containing some works about women by well-known male writers such as Proust and Wilkie Collins, CSA WORD's third collection of women's stories is diverse and involving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,915,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible