Spiked (Blocked Book 3)

by Jennifer Lane

116,577,383 (5)None
Recently added byDarcia

No tags

One of the things I love most about Jennifer Lane's stories is the way she explores real life experiences. She doesn't add scenes for shock value, nor does she layer on the drama. The content is compelling in its own right, delivered with honesty and compassion. This story could be happening right now, and, sadly, is likely playing out in some form today, even as I write this. But Lane doesn't give us endless pages of misery. She shines a light into the darkness, guiding us out so that we all learn and grow as we follow her path.

No matter how compelling the content, stories need great characters to keep us hooked. These characters are real people. I swear to you. They stepped off the pages and went on to live their lives. Each has his/her own complex, unique personality. I can tell which is speaking simply by the rhythm of their speech and their word choices. I feel their emotions and care what happens to them. Perhaps most important, I understand their viewpoints, even when I don't necessarily agree. Being able to truly relate to a person different from ourselves is a gift Jennifer Lane masterfully gives readers.

This book is targeted toward young adults. If I had teenagers or college-age kids, I would want to read this book with them, and then discuss the issues presented. This story really is the perfect lead-in for pertinent conversations with young adults. But being long past my own college years, with grown kids of my own, didn't prevent me from relating to and enjoying this story.

Spiked is the final book in the Blocked Trilogy. While this one can essentially be read as a stand-alone, for the best experience I recommend reading them in order. Each book has two different main characters, but all of the characters and their lives intertwine throughout the series. The subtleties in their relationships can be missed if you haven't read the previous books. Plus, all three are fantastic reads! ( )
  Darcia | Dec 15, 2016 |

Jennifer Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,415,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible