All Systems Red by Martha Wells

All Systems Red

by Martha Wells

Series: The Murderbot Diaries (1)

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: The ethical dilemmas and questions on the meaning of humanity inform both stories.

2018 Hugo Awards Best Novella Nominee

This review could be represented by a depiction of me scrawling "Murderbot" on my notebook and covering it in glitter stars. This book delivers serious fun alongside serious issues of personhood. I loved Murderbot's bemused affection for its humans, because humans are so weird and Murderbot would really rather be watching its shows. & the ending was so right. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I had been seeing a lot of emails about Martha Wells' Murderbot series and finally decided to give it a go. I am super happy I did. Think of a security robot that is in a funk because a malfunction on his last company job had resulted in him killing the thirty nine surveyors he was to protect. Since then he has hacked his governor chip, started calling himself Murderbot, and taken to watching lots of human entertainment downloads. But when his current crew is in danger, Murderbot steps past his self imposed isolation to save their lives, winning his freedom in the bargain. Highly recommended. ( )
  Gkarlives | Sep 18, 2018 |
All the buzz and awards (*cough*HUGO*coughcough*) this has been getting are, frankly, well-deserved. On the surface, this novella is the story of a cybernetic construct, part cloned-organic and part technological-robot, who has technically gone rogue, in its own quiet way, and just wants to be left alone.

But, for real, the book is about being a person. Murderbot, as it semi-ironically calls itself, is all of us who sit by ourselves and feel isolated and tell ourselves we don't like people anyway. It's anyone who has social anxiety. It's every person who has wanted to disappear in a crowded room.

And it's freaking great. The whole novella, told from Murderbot's perspective, is fast-paced and occasionally brutal, but not so much as to make one deeply uncomfortable. Instead, the intriguing discomfort comes from Murderbot's own frank observations of humanity and itself. The shift of its emotions are the real plot here and, as a person, I could completely relate to every single moment except for the actual murdery bits. (There aren't as many as you might think.)

I can't really explain this book except to say that it's one of the most inventive and most human science fiction stories I've come across in a long time. And now I'm off to read the next one! ( )
1 vote beserene | Sep 10, 2018 |
All Systems Red by Martha Wells is the first story in her Murderbot series. This is a fun science fiction story about a half-robot, half-organic being who is the security guard overseeing the safety of a group of human scientists who are gathering samples and information on an uninhabited planet. The story starts off in high gear and continues right on through it’s 156 pages.

This AI was designed to be a killing machine but it hacked and modified itself to have a modicum of free will. It spends it’s downtime watching entertainment videos that it has downloaded. It also avoids any face-to-face confrontation as human contact makes it very uncomfortable. Even with these modifications, when the group is threatened the Murderbot has no hesitation in jumping to the forefront to protect them.

I loved this story and was sad that it was over so quickly. Luckily, there are more Murderbot stories available and I am sure it won’t be very long before I dive into another. All Systems Red is a great introduction to the Murderbot Diaries, light, entertaining and addictive. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 25, 2018 |
Nominated for a Hugo. This book is charming, in a murdery kind of way. I fell in love with Murderbot and if you like good old robot scifi with a twist of sardonic humor, you will too. What’s great about this book is it’s short, sweet, and funny in a satisfying way. There’s some actiony bits and sweet, silly humans, and a robot who will steal your heart. A feel-good romp, you might say. Now I need to read the rest. Robots are the cutest. ( )
  hlwalrath | Aug 21, 2018 |

Wells, MarthaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could have become a mass murderer after I hacked my governor module, but then I realized I could access the combined feed of entertainment channels carried on the company satellites.
And in their corner all they had was Murderbot, who just wanted everyone to shut up and leave it alone so it could watch the entertainment feed all day.

A murderous android discovers itself in All Systems Red, a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that blends HBO's Westworld with Iain M. Banks' Culture books

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid ― a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 15 Dec 2016 23:34:25 -0500)

A murderous android discovers itself in "All Systems Red", a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that interrogates the roots of consciousness through Artificial intelligence. In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety. But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn't a primary concern. On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied 'droid -- a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as "Murderbot." Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is. But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.… (more)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible