All Systems Red (Kindle Single): The…

All Systems Red (Kindle Single): The Murderbot Diaries (edition 2017)

by Martha Wells (Author)

Member:Spurts
Title:All Systems Red (Kindle Single): The Murderbot Diaries
Authors:Martha Wells (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2017), 156 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:*****

All Systems Red by Martha Wells (Author)

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: The ethical dilemmas and questions on the meaning of humanity inform both stories.

I have the worst trouble writing reviews for books I unequivocally ★★★★★.

Probably the best review I can give this is that I immediately pre-ordered the next book, [Artificial Condition].

I just loved being inside Murdebot's head. Grumpy, introverted, snarky, lazy, fighting any emotions or involvement ... anti-hero, indeed.

The worldbuilding with greedy corporations had a fond déjà vu for me of H. Beam Piper's works--but, original rather than derivative. ( )
  Spurts | Apr 16, 2018 |
Our protagonist robot is a security unit, commissioned as part of the insurance package for surveyors on a new planet. It thinks of itself as a "murderbot", doesn't try very hard at its job, has no comfort with humans, and loves secret doses of serial entertainment. When someone starts trying to kill the group, however, it rises to the challenge.

Loved the droll voice of murderbot, the not-totally-cliched subplot around finding oneself and finding friends, the quick and not-totally-cliched adventure story, and the reflections on "the company" as a highly self-interested rational actor. Light and easy fare, not quite as earth-shattering as I expected from the positive press, and definitely a series I'll follow. ( )
  pammab | Mar 29, 2018 |
Wow. This was a short but lovely read! Loved the "humans are silly but adorable" humor. It also brought me to tears toward the end. I would recommend it for fans of "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet". Certainly a 'good-feel' type of novella.

Includes a lovely but emotionally underdeveloped and socially awkward MurderBot. Can't wait for the sequel! :]
  crdf | Mar 10, 2018 |
All Systems Red is the first in a series of novellas titled The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. Based on that kind of title who would have expected a story about a security robot that hacks it's own governing module so can watch tv all day instead of doing its job? I know I didn't. And boy was this story great fun.

Sometime in the future, the Company approves and supplies all planetary missions. As standard procedure all teams are accompanied by Company provided security androids, called SecUnits, a regulatory 1 android per 10 humans. On a distant planet, a research team is conducting surveys of the surface. Sure, there have been strange computer glitches from time to time, all perfectly normal considering programming contracts tend to go to the lowest bidder. That is right up until a neighboring mission goes dark and the scientists are determined to find out what happened.

Clocking in at just over 150 pages, Wells does an impressive job. The plot takes off immediately, with the researchers and Murderbot finding themselves in a highly dangerous situation they never expected. On top of that she weaves in great characterization for Murderbot. Being an android who is finds dealing with humans uncomfortable and slightly annoying, preferring instead just watch them on tv, it's highly relatable to anyone who was an awkward teen growing up or just on those days when you'd rather not deal with people. Though Murderbot tries to come across as apathetic, I think it does care underneath it all. The downside to having such limited space is the rest of the characters aren't nearly so fleshed out. That's ok though since this is Murderbot's story.

Well written and entertaining, this was a satisfying short read. ( )
  Narilka | Feb 10, 2018 |
This was a very fun, quick read. Murderbot, our narrator, has a bit of Marvin the Paranoid Android in him. He (she? we never know) is a security robot whose job is to protect humans investigating a planet. He is part human, part robot, but he suppresses the human part, especially emotions, avoids eye contact, and spends his time watching serial TV shows. He claims to do a half-assed job and mostly just wants to get through the day.

But he's not a completely obedient, rational robot. He's hacked into his governing system, which is a good thing because it turns out that someone is after his humans. Despite himself/herself, he begins to get attached to the humans (just doing the job, he tells himself, but suddenly it's much more than a half-assed effort). And as his emotions become harder to suppress, he becomes introspective (much against his will).

The voice is wonderful; deadpan, verging on snarky, and completely engaging. I can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  Sunita_p | Feb 10, 2018 |

Wells, MarthaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could have become a mass murderer after I hacked my governor module, but then I realized I could access the combined feed of entertainment channels carried on the company satellites.
And in their corner all they had was Murderbot, who just wanted everyone to shut up and leave it alone so it could watch the entertainment feed all day.

A murderous android discovers itself in All Systems Red, a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that blends HBO's Westworld with Iain M. Banks' Culture books

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid ― a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 15 Dec 2016 23:34:25 -0500)

A murderous android discovers itself in "All Systems Red", a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that interrogates the roots of consciousness through Artificial intelligence. In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety. But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn't a primary concern. On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied 'droid -- a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as "Murderbot." Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is. But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.… (more)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,529,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible