All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries (The…

All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries (The Murderbot Diaries, 1) (edition 2017)

by Martha Wells (Author)

A murderous android discovers itself in "All Systems Red", a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that interrogates the roots of consciousness through Artificial intelligence. In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety. But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn't a primary concern. On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied 'droid -- a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as "Murderbot." Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is. But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.… (more)
Member:crop
Title:All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries (The Murderbot Diaries, 1)
Authors:Martha Wells (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2017), 160 pages
Collections:Electronic, Recently Read, Your library
Rating:*****

Work Information

All Systems Red by Martha Wells

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (chlorine)
    chlorine: Main protagonists are at least somewhat AI, and both books have a neutral take on gender.
    A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: The ethical dilemmas and questions on the meaning of humanity inform both stories.
    Artifice by Alex Woolfson (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Construct, check. Evil Corporation, check. Action, check. Squishy emotional center, check. Trust me, you'll love it.
    Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill (jekier)
    jekier: The protagonist is a robot/ai.
    Finder by Suzanne Palmer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fast paced, humorous space adventure with lots of fun twists without romance. Features a sarcastic main character who, like Murderbot, finds himself helping others while trying to understand and run from his own past (all while failing to convince himself he doesn't care).
    For We Are Many by Dennis E. Taylor (Cora-R)
    Hard Wired by Len Vlahos (jekier)
    jekier: Another great book staring an AI character.
    The Stories of Ibis by Hiroshi Yamamoto (jekier)
    jekier: Another great book staring an AI character.
    Hellspark by Janet Kagan (steppenfloyd)
    Queen of Roses by Elizabeth McCoy (Litrvixen)
    Litrvixen: Both are about artifical entities who have to deal with humans.
    Bypass Gemini by Joseph R. Lallo (Cloverlimes)
    Cloverlimes: Action & humor focused race across space where the main character is pitted against corporate interests. Interesting characters, including AI characters.
    Tik-Tok by John Sladek (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Tik-Tok, if you like your bot a little more murdery.
2010s (32)
To Read (633)
mom (497)

English (346)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (351)
Don’t let the name fool you; all Murderbot wants is to be left alone so it can watch its shows in peace. This was an excellent sci-fi novella written in a journal-style format. I listened to it on audio, so having the addition of a good narrator helped add an extra level of immersion into the story.
We’re introduced to Murderbot on his current mission, which is to bodyguard a team of researchers on an uninhabited planet. A simple, easy mission, in which Murderbot could watch hundreds of hours of Sanctuary Moon with minimal trouble. Unfortunately, things quickly go awry when unregistered fauna attack and an entire research team is found murdered…. Not by Murderbot.
A really quick read/listen with an engaging mystery, humorous and very relatable main character, and more volumes for those who want to continue the journey with Murderbot. ( )
  H4ppyN3rd | Jun 28, 2024 |
3.5/5

This was a very short read and I want to judge it accordingly. First of all, I'm not a fan of sci-fi, the themes often focus too much on the technical and technological for my taste. My interest is into the stories that focus more on the human side of the genre, and this one does err on that side, although not completely.
The internal monologue of Murderbot is pretty good, it is witty and keeps the story at an interesting pace. The human characters are somewhat negligible for the most part: most of them blend together and their personalities are not very well developed, but that was not what I wanted out of this book and that's okay.
The previously mentioned focus on technologies does show it's face every now and then in sessions that I mostly ignored when I could. The plot does sorta orbit around it, but even that is not all that important for this story. I just wanted to see what Murderbot would do next.
The ending was an interesting one, even if a bit expected. Murderbot had already showed disdain for a fake freedom that would just tie it to some human, even if, as this time was the case, it really liked the human in question. The ending felt logical and appropriate for the character. The main plot didn't matter much, but now I do know ancient aliens exist in this universe, so I guess it's a good starting point.
A very short read, good enough for a long waiting room or a boring afternoon in general. The main character did interest me enough that I will very probably check the next book. ( )
  tuskactfour | Jun 26, 2024 |
My wife read this and said the main character reminded her of me and that I should read it. I'm glad I did. I'm not a murdering android or anything, but I certainly don't like being the center of attention and would much rather just hang out by myself and read. So similar in that way.
It's a very well built world and a well developed character that just flows. I can't wait to pick up the rest of the series. ( )
  hhornblower | Jun 18, 2024 |
A security robot that loves watching soap operas is hiding a secret - it has made itself autonomous and cannot be controlled any longer. It is not comfortable socialising with humans. However, the current batch of humans it is tasked with protecting treat it well and when they are put in danger it chooses to help them out.

The story is narrated from the POV of the robot. It was a quick, fun read. ( )
  bookworm3091 | Jun 14, 2024 |
I’ve been wanting to read the murderbot series for a while but never knew these books were so short- I saw them in my library recently and decided to just go for it and practically read it in one go. It had humour and an interesting storyline, I loved how you don’t know what the plan is and have to find out as time goes on. I hope the second book can live upto this one’s expectations XD ( )
  Liesl. | Jun 3, 2024 |
But this book is sneaky. As much as you want to think this is just some lightweight little confection made of robot fights and space murder — and as much as All Systems Red wants to present itself as nothing but robot fights and space murder — Martha Wells did something really clever. She hid a delicate, nuanced and deeply, grumpily human story inside these pulp trappings, by making her murderous robot story primarily character-driven. And the character doing the driving?

Murderbot.

Harris, LeeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montier, MathildeTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could have become a mass murderer after I hacked my governor module, but then I realized I could access the combined feed of entertainment channels carried on the company satellites.
And in their corner all they had was Murderbot, who just wanted everyone to shut up and leave it alone so it could watch the entertainment feed all day.

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,415,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible