Northwoods Cradle Song: From a Menominee…

Northwoods Cradle Song: From a Menominee Lullaby

by Douglas Wood

Other authors: Lisa Desimini (Illustrator)

This book was definitely different from the other books I read by Douglas Wood since it was a lullaby. Although I wouldn't use this book in my classroom, I think it's a beautiful lullaby for mothers to sing their babies or young children to sleep. I loved the illustrations, which included a mother putting her baby to sleep. ( )
  Eayyad | Mar 8, 2017 |
Northwoods Cradle Song is a sweet and tender adaption of a Native American lullaby to a poem. The poem is simple and beautifully illustrated with images of a mother singing to her child. The illustrations are quite literal and correspond to at least one the lines. The rhyming scheme of the poem is quite nice and I really appreciate the repetitions of the lines "Sleep, little warrior, sleep./Go to sleep./Go to sleep". I think this book would be great in day-cares and pre-k but not necessarily in a classroom setting outside of nap time. ( )
  ilonon | Jan 30, 2017 |
Northwoods Cradle Song is a Native American lullaby between a mother and her son. She is rocking him to sleep while praying for positive attributes in him. The mother refers to him as "warrior". While speaking positively over her son, she compares him to many things that are apart of nature; it really helps with the Native American theme of the book because the Native American culture is very earthly and spiritual. ( )
  Neshia.Rowe | Oct 30, 2016 |
This was a sweet lullaby book for very young children. This wouldn't be a book I would want to share with a class. This book was made for mothers to read to their children. ( )
  kzrobin | Oct 17, 2011 |
Genre ~ Poetry ~ This is a good example of a different kind of poerty. It is adapted from the Native American lullaby. The story flows nicely and is soothling if read in a quiet voice.

Setting ~ The setting is mostly revealed through the illustrationsm, but the descriptions to give hints to the setting as well. We know that this takes place at night on a Native American site. The mother is singing to her chid, rocking him to sleep.

Media ~ Oil Paint ( )
  bdiebner |

Douglas Woodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desimini, LisaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A poetic adaptation of a Menominee lullaby follows a mother's bedtime song to her little warrior, which describes the whisper of the night winds, the call of the whippoorwill, the silken wings of moths, and other natural images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:50 -0400)

A poetic adaptation of a Menominee Indian lullaby that describes the sights and sounds of night.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible