The Heir Apparent: Book Four of The…

The Heir Apparent: Book Four of The Guardians of the Flame (original 1987; edition 2017)

by Joel Rosenberg (Author)

Karl might have won an empire but he has an empire with many problems. From the elves who want to take his land to the slavers guild who wants to kill him. Jason his son is now almost grown and will have to take his position as heir to an empire more seriously.
Member:emoki13
Title:The Heir Apparent: Book Four of The Guardians of the Flame
Authors:Joel Rosenberg (Author)
Info:Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc. (2017), 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Guardians of the flame

The Heir Apparent by Joel Rosenberg (1987)

What made this series different is that it was the anti-high fantasy. In the very first book of the series, seven role-playing college students are transported to the world of their game as their alter egos. Those who survive stay and bring technology--and a crusade against slavery to their new home. I do often love sword and sorcery but you know what? The historical truth is that medieval societies suck. So hell yeah, I did adore the idea of those college kids from contemporary America messing with that world, trying to bring to it the Industrial Revolution, democracy, and with it the end of slavery. And I liked the characters--Karl, Walter, Lou, Ahira, Andrea--and the snarky dragon Ellegon. That made this fantasy series different, but...

Well, I feel mixed about the ending of this book--and obviously I'm not alone given other reviews. In a way I do feel it takes guts to have a Jossian ruthlessness towards your characters, that Rosenberg makes it clear no one is safe. (And I did like the reappearance of Doria Perlstein.) On the other hand, somehow this did break the momentum for me. This book is also a coming of age novel for Jason, Karl's son, and passes the baton on to the next generation. I did get the next book in the series, but it just wasn't the same. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 25, 2012 |
The adventures of Karl Cullinane and his friends continue as they struggle to create and keep a kingdom free from slavery. The former game players from Earth have brought their 20th century morality with them, and slavery is abhorrent. That makes them enemies of just about everyone, especially the Slavers Guild. Will Karl, who seems to find ways to win every time, win out against the Slavers Guild determined to kill him? Very enjoyable fantasy. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 15, 2012 |
(Alistair) And on with the Guardians of the Flame in my booklogging, with book #4, The Heir Apparent. (The third, The Silver Crown, is booklogged here.)

I don't really have that much to say about the continuing series on the meta-level. The individual scope of this book expands into the bigger picture, certainly, dealing with the problems of the new empire that Home has turned into after the events of the last book, while simultaneously dealing with renewed and expanded slaver plots, and most of all, Karl's heir getting himself into a plenitude of trouble. And it does include the death - and a suitably fitting death - of one of the main characters in the series.

But fundamentally, it maintains the qualities the series has held up so far, and so I repeat myself once again: quick, enjoyable, gritty, satisfying read. On we go.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2009/07/the_heir_apparent_joel_rose... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Jan 14, 2010 |
Realistic close-up fantasy, but not a new ground-breaker.: Joel Rosenberg manages to continue his old storyline without any special new inventions. The old heroes is dusted off (I guess that Joel wanted to retire them entirely a couple of times during the books 1-3) and used again. Some 2nd role actors are killed off, together with the main characters in the end of the book. I could just feel Joels urge to finish the tale thoughout the book, and managing barely. Only to change his mind because of sentimentality for the well-known characters, and making a strange sortie and opening for next book...
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Joel Rosenbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bober, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Karl might have won an empire but he has an empire with many problems. From the elves who want to take his land to the slavers guild who want to kill him. Jason his son is now almost grown and will have to take his position as heir to an empire more seriously.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,371,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible