They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

They Both Die at the End (edition 2018)

by Adam Silvera (Author)

In a near-future New York City where a service alerts people on the day they will die, teenagers Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio meet using the Last Friend app and are faced with the challenge of living a lifetime on their End Day.
Member:janillabean
Title:They Both Die at the End
Authors:Adam Silvera (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2018), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Collections:eBook, 2019, Your library

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Imagine getting a call in the middle of the night and being told that you would have less than twenty-four hours to live while in the mist of that, you’ll not be informed when and how you’re going to die and... Here’s a promo code you can use at the hottest new restaurant in town because YOLO. That pretty much sums this up sorta kinda but not really.

When I had originally stumbled upon “They Both Die at the End” the cover is what initially blew me away and when I read the synopsis. Like holy shit, sign me the fuck up.

This novel tells the story of two complete strangers joining an app looking to make a new friend on their End Day and the moments that pursue were heartbreaking. Seriously I had got a little bit teary-eyed whenever Mateo’s father made an appearance and just when I near the end I had to brace myself because I knew it was was going to happen, their End Day. Needless to say, the subtle mentions in the earlier chapters of how they were going to meet their End were applaud worthy and dare I say, helped create a well executed ending. I will notate that the only downfall to this read was the ‘Death-Cast’ system. I wished the author would have elaborate more about was the ‘Death-cast’ and their ill-timely phone calls. Not only did it have me asking the big five W’s, I was left with more questions than answers.

Nevertheless, it was a splendid and thought provoking read filled with phenomenal world-building, unique writing style, and characters that will leave a lasting impression. ( )
  ayoshina | Dec 22, 2019 |
I am a total sucker for a good YA book and this one has it all. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Found the concept to be thought-provoking. Did not deeply connect with the main characters, but that is understandable as it is a YA novel and not written for someone my age. The ending was moving (even though, yes, you know what's going to happen on a literal level because of the title.)

joyjohnston | Dec 3, 2019 |
The two first person narratives did not have distinct enough voices; I kept forgetting which kid was talking to me. Very distracting. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 20, 2019 |
In this imagined future world, you not only know when you're going to die... you have 24 hour notice. Death-cast has called both Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio and despite their differences they unite as "Last Friends" for a day of goodbyes, adventure, and cosmic reveals. An interesting premise that, for this reader at least, never really takes off. Pondering one's mortality is never cheery; this book does little to leaven the anxiety. ( )
  mjspear | Nov 14, 2019 |

Adam Silveraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crouch, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daymond, RobbieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prades, SimonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people exist, that’s all.
—Oscar Wilde
For those who need a reminder to make every day count.

Shout-out to Mom for all the love and
Cecilia for all the tough love. I’ve always needed both.
Death-Cast is calling with the warning of a lifetime—I’m going to die today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,595,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible