They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

They Both Die at the End (edition 2018)

by Adam Silvera (Author)

In a near-future New York City where a service alerts people on the day they will die, teenagers Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio meet using the Last Friend app and are faced with the challenge of living a lifetime on their End Day.
Member:DustiBeebe
Title:They Both Die at the End
Authors:Adam Silvera (Author)
Info:Quill Tree Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Scythe by Neal Shusterman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: YA books that take place in a world where our relationship with death has fundamentally changed

Even though I “knew” how the book would end, I still cried like a baby when it did. My heart is shattered ( )
  jgallo123 | Sep 14, 2021 |
i read this book because my granddaughter read this for school and so we could discuss it. ( )
  rolyat | Sep 8, 2021 |
I kind of liked the concept but then I also didn't. I think I need to stop reading YA, because I'm apparently too cynical or there's something else wrong with me. Or, the hype worked against the book (like always) and got my expectations too high. Whatever the reason, I didn't find the story as heart-breaking as everyone else, apparently.
Several narrators helped in getting rid of the overacting narration prevalent in American audiobooks, but I still found it a bit unneccessary. I am able to follow different characters even with single-person narration. ( )
  Iira | Aug 29, 2021 |
In a future where people receive a phone call on the day they will die to let them know it is their last day, Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio happen to get the call on the same day. Total strangers to each other, they meet up on an app called Last Friend and decide to spend their End Day together. For Mateo, it's an opportunity to step outside of the cautious life he's lived to find some adventure and tie up loose ends. For Rufus, who has a number of his own challenges to work through, a day with Mateo provides a chance to be a bit more carefree on his last day while spending his time with someone who understands exactly what he's going through. And both find that it truly is amazing how deeply a bond can form in less than 24 hours...

This is a moving and thought-provoking book. Of course, it raises the obvious questions about whether one would want to know they were going to die or simply let it come as it does. And there's the question of how we choose to live our lives on a day-to-day basis--live every day as if it's your last or save that for your actual last day? And what does living your life as though it's your last day really mean? The chances we don't take may sometimes be just as impactful on our lives as the ones we do. And even though the title tells you exactly where this book is headed, I found I was still completely gutted when I got there. These two characters and the world in which they live really comes to life on these pages, and I found myself lost in the book and hoping--even just for a moment--for an ending that I (and Rufus and Mateo) knew deep down wasn't possible. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
4.5/5 stars

The story telling in this novel was so creative. Two young men find each other and learn how to live on their last day alive, and the POV switches between them, as well as occasionally including side characters who impact their last day.

You grow and love alongside Rufus and Mateo, as well as experience the tension of not knowing how these characters die until the end of the book. I thought for sure these new friends were going to die so many different ways, and then the ending really caught me unawares. ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |

Adam Silveraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crouch, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daymond, RobbieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prades, SimonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people exist, that’s all.
—Oscar Wilde
For those who need a reminder to make every day count.

Shout-out to Mom for all the love and
Cecilia for all the tough love. I’ve always needed both.
Death-Cast is calling with the warning of a lifetime—I’m going to die today.

Adam Silvera reminds us that there’s no life without death and no love without loss in this devastating yet uplifting story about two people whose lives change over the course of one unforgettable day.

On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They’re going to die today.

Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they’re both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. The good news: There’s an app for that. It’s called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure—to live a lifetime in a single day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,224,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible