The Tao of Programming

by Geoffrey James

tsed (0)

Cute and funny. I recognized some references to the Tao Te Ching. Maybe half of the book is anecdotes about "the master said" and "the novice said", which I'm pretty sure is more Zen Buddhism than Taoism... ( )
  lavaturtle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Probably the oldest computer book I still own and use. The technical references are dated, but the content is as relative today as it was twenty years ago. In that sense, it reminds me of Mythical Man Month. Unfortunately, I believe this book has not been in print for quite some time. But you can find the content on the web. ( )
  JoeWirtley | Jan 3, 2007 |
'What is the sound of one hand programming?'
The 'Tao of Programming' answers this question, and many others. Computer humor is often a collection of puns that try too hard. Not this. It's an intelligent, thoughtful sendup of both computer programming and Silicon Valley-style Zen Buddism.
It's a bit dated - many of the references will only be understood by those with mainframe experience. But if you're a computer programmer, or just a knowledgeable geek, James will have you laughing 'till your ribs hurt.
One of my favorite books. ( )
  airship | Jul 7, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,116,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible