The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún…

The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún Vol. 1 (The Girl From the… (edition 2017)

by Nagabe (Author)

An ethereal fantasy from the editorial team behind theNew York Times bestselling seriesThe Ancient Magus' Bride The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún is an all-new manga series that pulls readers into a magical and enchanting tale about a young girl and her demonic guardian. A haunting story of love and fantastical creatures,The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún is a gorgeously-illustrated manga series. Each volume in the series will be released with a beautifully-textured matte finish cover and will include at least one full-color insert. In a world split between the Inside and the Outside, those living in both realms are told never to cross over to the other side, lest they be cursed. A young girl named Shiva lives on the other side, in a vacant village with a demonic guardian known only as "Teacher." Although the two are forbidden to touch, they seem to share a bond that transcends their disparate appearances. But when Shiva leaves Teacher's care to seek out her grandmother, the secret behind her mysterious living arrangement comes to light.… (more)
Member:LadyTime
Title:The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún Vol. 1 (The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún (1))
Authors:Nagabe (Author)
Info:Seven Seas (2017), 180 pages

Work Information

The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, Volume 1: Once Upon A Time... by Nagabe

I loved this book. I was originally drawn to the it because the art makes me think of Edward Gorey. The story between the girl and the Outsider is sweet and it makes you curious as to how they ended up in these circumstances. Definitely will continue with the series. ( )
  NagathaChristie | Jan 7, 2022 |
I loved everything about this. The cute and sweetness of the characters alongside the dark and melancholic art... I borrowed this from the library but I have a feeling I am going to need my own copy. This is my kind of slice of life. ( )
  theEmmers | Nov 24, 2021 |
This story was beautifully written and the illustrations where breathtaking. This was one of my first fantasy manga, and it did everything I hoped it would. Learning about the outsiders and the insiders was interesting, and Shiva and “Teacher” have such a special and unique relationship that was so heartwarming to read. I can not wait to get my hands on the second and third volume of this manga! Its become an instant favorite! ( )
  AshleyReadsss | Jun 23, 2020 |
Great great great lowkey creepy all ages story. Think Beautiful Darkness (less gross gore, more just creepy as shit) modulated for a younger crowd. I am eagerly anticipating the next. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
My vacation is coming up, which means it's almost time for me to read massive amounts of manga and then write short, spoiler-filled takes for each volume. One of the series I requested is The Girl from the Other Side, despite my suspicion that I'd enjoy it enough to wish I'd just bought the whole thing instead of reading it via the library. A few of the later volumes have come in, but volume 1 is still checked out by somebody, so I decided to read my personal copy prior to going on my trip. (I don't own any of the volumes after this one.)

In this first volume we meet Shiva, a little girl, and the being she calls Teacher. Any day now, Shiva expects her aunt to come pick her up and Teacher, unwilling to make her sad, doesn't tell her that she was abandoned. Her aunt will never come for her and is possibly already dead.

According to humans, Outsiders are cursed beings belonging to the God of Darkness, and anyone who lives outside their walls must, by definition, be an Outsider. Teacher, an Outsider, tells Shiva that she must never touch beings like him (?). If she does, she'll become cursed and will turn into a hideous beast.

This was, for the most part, a gentle and lovely first volume with an edge of darkness and bittersweetness that reminded me of Natsume's Book of Friends. The setup and Teacher's design reminded me of The Ancient Magus' Bride as well, although Teacher and Shiva's relationship was unambiguously that of an adoptive parent and child. Teacher tried to get Shiva to obey rules that were designed to keep her safe from things she didn't even know she needed to fear, and Shiva wanted to have tea parties and make flower crowns while waiting for her aunt. Teacher's manner and clothing made him seem like an awkward and adorable bachelor who wanted to do well at this parenting thing but wasn't always sure what to do. In that respect, I was reminded of Bunny Drop (the anime - let's forget the later parts of the manga ever happened).

Their relationship was sweet, even as I fretted over what might happen if Shiva found out the truth about her aunt or accidentally touched Teacher. As far as the touching went, I suspected that, rather than transforming Shiva, it would kill her. The "curse" seemed to result in an awful lot of dead bodies, like some sort of plague.

I ended the volume with lots of questions about Teacher and who and what he was. If what he said to Shiva was true, he was once human, turned into his current form by the curse. It's also possible that he's just a supernatural being with a soft spot for children. There's evidence that his memory is faulty - when Shiva told him that he'd introduced himself to her as Teacher, he couldn't recall that moment. Then again, Shiva could just have an active imagination.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series, but I'm also worried that it's going to break my heart. Here's hoping that Shiva and Teacher both survive whatever this world throws at them.

Additional Comment:

I'm probably one of the few people who noticed this, but someone at Seven Seas messed up and misspelled Nagabe's name ("Nagame") on the last page of the volume. Oops.

Extras:

- Two four-panel comics starring Teacher and Shiva.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
1 vote Familiar_Diversions | Nov 3, 2018 |

Nagabeprimary authorall editionscalculated
ながべAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beck, AdrienneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blakeslee, LysLetterer and touchupsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamodiere, FedouaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lim, NickyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacFarlane, Ysabet ReinhardtAdaptorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minutoli, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Listen closely, now.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,934,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible