dismiss

Nebula Awards Showcase 2017

by Julie E. Czerneda (Editor)

Other authors: Mark Askwith (Contributor), FJ Bergmann (Contributor), CJ Cherryh (Contributor), Amal El-Mohtar (Contributor), Charles E. Gannon (Contributor)17 more, NK Jemisin (Contributor), Naomi Kritzer (Contributor), Ann Leckie (Contributor), David D. Levine (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Sam J. Miller (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Nnedi Okorafor (Contributor), Sarah Pinsker (Contributor), Michelle Sagara (Contributor), Lawrence M. Schoen (Contributor), Greg Schwartz (Contributor), Martin L. Shoemaker (Contributor), Marge Simon (Contributor), Fran Wilde (Contributor), Betsy Wollheim (Contributor), Alyssa Wong (Contributor)

Series: Nebula Award Stories (51)

The Nebula Awards Showcase volumes have been published annually since 1966, reprinting the winning and nominated stories of the Nebula Awards, voted on by the members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA). This year's editor, selected by SFWA's anthology Committee (chaired by Mike Resnick), is Canadian science fiction and fantasy writer and editor Julie Czerneda. This year's Nebula Award winners are Naomi Novik, Nnedi Okorafor, Sarah Pinsker, and Alyssa Wong, with Fran Wilde winning the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy Book. Also included in this volume are works by N. K. Jemisin and Ann Leckie.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, ca.bookwyrm, haysup, _d, Jeeps, AceQueenKing, spicymike, bernardgilmore, pcrank, Oryphany

I'm only reading the award-winning stories from this collection. Here's what I've read and my thoughts about the stories:

"Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers" by Alyssa Wong
best short story Nebula Award Winner
Neat premise, though I'm really curious to know if there was any particular paranormal creature that inspired the MC. Enjoyable and icky all at the same time. The ending seems especially appropriate.

"Cat Pictures Please" by Naomi Kritzer
best short story Hugo Award Winner
I love this story. It's not the deepest or most meaningful story, but it is fun and amusing and -- most importantly of all -- hopeful.

"Our Lady of the Open Road" by Sarah Pinsker
best novelette Nebula Award Winner
I like it... but it's also depressing. It is set in a future where most live events have been replaced by holograms, either at a venue or in your house. I can see where the concern is, and the story is all the more powerful for how much my soul rebels against the idea of live entertainment dying out, but man, bits of this hurt to read.

"Binti" by Nnedi Okorafor
best novella Nebula and Hugo Award Winner
Really neat concept, and good execution. I'm not sure I'll read the sequel, though, since I like where this left off. I might. Haven't really decided yet. But this left me satisfied and not feeling a desire to rush off to get more of Binti's story. More of Okorafor's writing, yes. But maybe in a different world or with a different protagonist. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
A wonderful way to get a glimpse of what is new and who is who. It has a bit of everything for everyone, short stories, poems, a Haiku , 100 reasons why sex with aliens is better, and a few snippets of novels to whet your appetite. ( )
  spicymike | Jul 14, 2019 |
This is a collection of Nebula 2016 nominees and winners. It's fascinating how present these feel -- the quasi-political commentary on our world is clear in a way that I rarely experience in science fiction. Apparently in 2017 we are very interested in the questions of sentience, of AI, and of Alzheimer's (the last presumably an effect of Terry Pratchett's death?). The balance here veers into fantasy more than I'd usually read, but I'm glad to have gotten this taste of what current science fiction and fantasy look like.

"Madeleine" (El-Mohtar) -- Sense-based time travel with a commentary on modern medicine. Very strong, though not especially novel for me. ★★★★

"Cat Pictures Please" (Kritzer) -- Sentient AI tries to make things better in exchange for cat pictures. A whimsical story that doesn't have anything new to say on a well-worn theme. ★★

"Damage" (Levine) -- Sentient airplane cobbled together from parts, fighting the losing side of a war, faced with a moral dilemma. The story has a nice arc and pacing, but feels rather pat to me. ★★½

"When Your Child Strays From God" (Miller) -- When her son doesn't come home, a mother takes a drug to meet him where he is, and finds she isn't where she thought she was. I quite enjoyed this story, which hits some of my favorite themes of religion and LGBTQ identity. ★★★★

"Today I am Paul" (Shoemaker) -- Fascinating concept and execution of a sentient android in a nursing home, emulating folks from the patient's present and past. Incredibly sad, grief-triggering, and beautiful. ★★★★★

"Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers" (Wong) -- Flavors of people taken rather literally, with family and lover dynamics fascinating in their complexity. Parts were hard for me to follow, but I've never seen this idea before. ★★★½

"Our Lady of the Open Road" (Pinsker) -- A band marches to the beat of its own drummer in a dystopian near-future, in which only self-driving cars are allowed on highways, folks demand Wallyworld credit instead of cash, and live bar music has been replaced by holographic recordings of folks who made it big years ago. The worldbuilding of the future rang true for me, though the plot didn't seem to really come together or conclude as majestically as the world had promise for. ★★★★

"Binti" (Okorafor) -- A young woman moving to another planet for university solves an intergalactic crisis. This novella has a very solid core. Unfortunately bits and pieces didn't ring true for me, like the fantastical healing properties, the blurry envisioned role of math, Binti's quick recovery from seeing murders, and so on -- but I was very intrigued and wanted to know more about this story, so it wins on that score. ★★★½

(Beyond this, the collection contains poetry and excerpts of novels. The poetry didn't speak to me and I chose to skip the excerpts of larger works in favor of moving on to another whole novel.) ( )
  pammab | Sep 16, 2017 |
Not my usual reading material but a very good sampling of many more authors I'll be looking for again. Kudos to Ms Czerneda on editing a great collection here! ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |

Wollheim, BetsyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wong, AlyssaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Manzieri, MaurizioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,872,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible