What You Don't Know: A Novel by JoAnn Chaney

What You Don't Know: A Novel (edition 2017)

by JoAnn Chaney (Author)

Member:icolford
Title:What You Don't Know: A Novel
Authors:JoAnn Chaney (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2017), 320 pages
Rating:***

What You Don't Know by JoAnn Chaney

What You Don't Know took me from "do i really want to read this" to "can't put it down" to "I can't believe it ended that way. The pace, especially at the beginning was annoyingly slow. The meat of it really had me wondering who the new serial murderer was. In the end, I was quite surprised but it didn't seem it should be that person. Usually when I don't care for the characters, I have a tendency to stop reading. But the characters were so compelling unlikable for me I continued reading to find any redeeming qualities. Overall, it's a good read and I think would be a great book club discussion. ( )
  bogopea | Nov 22, 2017 |
Most crime novels featuring serial killers end with the killer’s arrest, conviction or death. Joann Chaney’s dark and chilling first novel, What You Don’t Know, turns this formula on its ear. The novel begins in 2008 with wealthy restaurateur and serial killer Jacky Seever’s conviction, thanks to the efforts of two homicide detectives—the eccentric and intense Ralph Loren and his long-suffering partner Paul Hoskins—after multiple bodies are unearthed in the crawl space of Seever’s Denver house. The other characters of note in the original case are Gloria Seever, who pleaded ignorance of her husband’s actions, though many people remain unconvinced, and Sammie Peterson, a writer for the Denver Post whose series of articles on the case gave her career a serious boost, and who was also a former employee and girlfriend of Seever. New challenges arise in 2015, with Seever safely behind bars, when more bodies start turning up bearing Seever’s signature mutilation, a detail that was never released to the public. After seven years some changes have taken place: Loren remains in homicide but his eccentricities have become more acute (he has begun dressing and grooming himself to look like Seever), and Loren works alone because Hoskins, following a violent public outburst, has been banished to the basement to work on cold cases. Gloria Seever is still in the picture, though she can no longer enjoy her husband’s wealth because all the money was spent on his defense, and Sammie Peterson has lost her job with the Post and to make ends meet has been reduced to selling cosmetics in a shopping mall. Chaney brings a firm hand to a multifaceted story, steering the action along slowly as the new murders are investigated and puzzling clues emerge, bestowing her troubled characters with richly detailed inner lives, creating a suspenseful narrative of great depth and complexity, and sprinkling her tale with darkly sardonic observations on human nature. What You Don’t Know is an unexpected treat: a crime novel featuring a fascinating main cast written in prose that is lucid, uninhibited and atmospheric. Even if the ending falls a bit flat, the story is undeniably creepy and peppered with scenes that are disturbing and memorable. A very promising debut. ( )
  icolford | Oct 12, 2017 |
Sammie is an unemployed reporter who once covered Jacky Seever, a serial killer on death row. She got a lot of material for her stories by sleeping with police officer Paul Hoskins, who is still somewhat hung up on her. After copycat killings start, she is invited to write for the paper again.

I like serial killer stories and I like flawed female characters, so this should have been right up my alley. It was a meh read, though. The "flawed female character" bit is getting a little old, even for me, and Sammie felt like a stock character. Hoskins and his partner Loren were supposed to be quirky, but were just incredibly annoying. And Jacky Server was a movie villain, too clever and charismatic by half. ( )
  CasualFriday | Jun 16, 2017 |
Thanks to goodreads for a copy of this mystery by an amazing debut author. I have added her to my favorite authors list and look forward to her future books.

What you Don't Know is a psychological suspense book about a serial killer in Denver. It revolves around three main characters - Hoskins one of the cops who solved the case, Sammie a reporter who slept with Hoskins to get information about the case for her articles and Gloria the wife of the killer who claimed not to have any knowledge of his crimes. The story is told by the three voices and the reader learns what motivates them all and how they are handling the arrest of Jacky Seever - a serial killer who buried 33 bodies in the crawl space of his home. Seven years later, Hoskins is working cold cases in the basement of the police station, Sammie is selling make up and Gloria is barely surviving due to the people who wanted to blame her too. Seven years later,, with Deever behind bars on death row, a copycat killer starts to kill people from the original case - are all of their lives in jeopardy?

This is a fast paced, well done mystery. The case against Jacky was pretty cut and dried but it was so savage that the detectives suffered psychological damage from what they saw, but the copycat killer was a real mystery that needed to be solved before more people died. I thought that the characters were well done even though they were pretty unlikable due to all of their personal flaws. I hope that we see several of them again in a follow up book but if not, I will still read whatever this author writes. ( )
  susan0316 | Jan 25, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125007553X, Hardcover)

"Superb characters, sparkling dialogue, and a gripping, terrifying plot, plus flashes of humor to boot; JoAnn Chaney's What You Don't Know has it all." --Chris Pavone, New York Times bestselling author of The Travelers

He didn’t take their lives -- but he ruined them.

The final victims of an infamous serial killer may be the ones he didn’t kill.

Hoskins cracked the case of one of the most infamous serial killers -- and then it cracked him. He’s in cold cases, as is his career.

Sammie was the lead reporter who broke the story, but now she’s selling makeup at the mall. She wants back on page 1.

Gloria claims she was the unsuspecting wife. She didn’t know a thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:27:30 -0500)

He didn't take their lives -- but he ruined them. The final victims of an infamous serial killer may be the ones he didn't kill. Hoskins cracked the case of one of the most infamous serial killers -- and then it cracked him. He's in cold cases, as is his career. Sammie was the lead reporter who broke the story, but now she's selling makeup at the mall. She wants back on page 1. Gloria claims she was the unsuspecting wife. She didn't know a thing. And as new murders shake Denver, this is a final chance to get their lives back. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,983,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible