India's Struggle for Independence

by Bipan Chandra

India's Struggle For Independence presents a detailed outlook on the struggle for Indian Independence in a new analytical framework. Designed for ardent history enthusiasts, India's Struggle For Independence is one of the most exhaustive and precise account of the struggle of Indian Independence ever written in the literary world. Written and edited by five expert authors, it presents a detailed outlook on one of the most important periods in Indian history. The facts and details provided in this book have been gathered from oral and written sources, and various other primary sources have been used along with years of intense research. Written with a very concise approach, it is a one of a kind book that details the intricacies of the Indian Independence struggle. The struggle for Indian Independence took a long time and was something that affected the whole country. Every state in the country boasted of some kind of revolt – minor or major during this period. Numerous revolutionaries throughout the country came together in their efforts to fight against the British rule and set their country free. Few of the chapters in the book are The Fight to Secure Press Freedom, Foundation of the Congress: The Myth, World War I and Indian Nationalism: The Ghadar, An Economic Critique of Colonialism, Peasant Movements and Uprisings after 1857, The Non-Cooperation Movement—1920-1922, The Gathering Storm-1927-1929, Civil Rebellions and Tribal Uprisings, and many more. India's Struggle For Independence takes the reader on a journey across India as she was craving for her Independence. This book starts at the very first revolt of 1857 under the guidance of Mangal Pandey, from Rani Lakshmi Bai’s innate passion to free her country, Subhash Chandra Bose’s unmatched charisma and aggressive tactics, to Mahatma Gandhi’s famous civil disobedience and non-cooperation movement, to the final victory in 1947 when the British Raj finally came to an end. The book reflects a coherent narrative as it incorporates the existing historiographical advances and yet provides an utterly new and clear view of this period in Indian history.… (more)

This is quite some book. It tells so many interesting little details from the freedom struggle. There are some snippets from Swami Vivekananda and others- revolutionaries and reformers alike, that put them in a very different light than they are usually known for. I would like to be polite here and say this is a good book, but not the best book on Indian Freedom Movement. Some of the author's views are so skewed against the British, I wonder if it's because they are meant to be portrayed in their colonizer light or because we simply have to denounce them in context of our freedom movement?
The civil services has this book in their prescribed "books to read" list and its not hard to believe that they would easily sell a million copies based on that reason alone. Not giving any stars because this is not even an analysis or documentation.
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
This is the first real book on the history of Indian independence struggle that I have read so that does raise doubts about rating it - a history book - without having anything else to draw comparison from. But then I think it’s good in a way as I won’t be prejudiced in my review. I’ll settle for giving it 4 stars.

I thought it was a great book. For a first timer like me it was a great place to start reading about India’s independence struggle. It presents a complete overview of independence movement and also talks about the socio-economic backdrop against which the struggle was set and how relevant were the methods adopted. There were times when I was left wanting for more details regarding certain events, but then if the author had catered to that the book would have ended up being doubly or triply thick. And a very hard read for a rookie.

One thing going against the book would be that the whole tale is told from the perspective of Congress. You’ll often feel that the author is trying to justify the congress’ or Gandhi’s stance just because, well, they lead the freedom movement. The author repeatedly indulges in rationalizing their decisions which, though might not be completely incorrect, does cast doubts in the readers' mind regarding author's neutrality. It is easy to say in the hindsight that all their decisions were right since they succeeded in the end. It would have been much better if the book had maintained a more neutral tone. This is why it didn't seem fair to give it 5 stars.

But otherwise this is a very good book that gives quite a clear insight into the freedom struggle. It was quite a humbling experience to read about the movement and the great leaders behind it, many of whom are rarely acknowledged today. Their lives and ideologies are elucidated with reasonable detail and often with amusing anecdotes.

I must accept that it was also a bit embarrassing after having completed the book that I knew so less about our own history. You will come to know about the lives and ideologies of men who were absolute intellectuals. You’ll realize how bold and modern the idea of a united, democratic, sovereign and secular India was at that time under the then prevailing conditions. Had it not been for the clear understanding about India’s socio-economic realities and needs by the leaders of the movement and their vision for the future of the country India would have ended up being another Pakistan.

I would recommend this book for everyone who wants to know and understand Indian independence movement. ( )
  Adarsh_Nargundkar | Jun 12, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,712,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible