The Fourth Monkey (A 4MK Thriller) by J. D.…

The Fourth Monkey (A 4MK Thriller) (edition 2017)

by J. D. Barker (Author)

Member:HarleyChristensen
Title:The Fourth Monkey (A 4MK Thriller)
Authors:J. D. Barker (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2017), 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Fourth Monkey by J.D. Barker

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Fourth Monkey by J D Barker was an excellent read. About a fourth way through the book I thought of Michael Connelly, my favorite mystery author. Mr. Barker’s writing style compares to his in my opinion. The Diary chapters of the book could have been a separate book. The book was just one of those “magnet” books. You put it down, but it just draws you back. I read it in two days and I’m not the fastest of readers. ( )
  coker74 | Jul 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Detective Sam Porter has been working for the last 5 years trying to find the Four Monkey Killer. When he is called to a pedestrian vs bus accident he can't understand why until he is shown what was on the pedestrian. A small box with a black ribbon and when opened contained an ear. Could this be the 4MK? When Sam searches the body he finds a personal diary that begins with "Hello my friend, I am a thief, a murderer, a kidnapper." Since the ear is the first thing that 4MK cuts off the police believe that he has taken another victim and that they may still be alive.

From the first page to the last I was not able to put this book down. I really did like how chapters were broken down into the police, day and time, then the diary, then the victim. I thought the diary was a nice touch and rather creepy. The characters are so well written that you feel like you know them which is something for a first book. With so many twist, turns, and I never saw that coming it truly is one fantastic thriller. And because it is listed as a 4MK Thriller I can only hope and keep my fingers crossed that we have not seen the last of Detectives Sam Porter, Nash, Clair and whatever evil they have to fight next. I am hooked....I am a fan. I won this book from LibraryThing Early Reviewer for an honest review. ( )
  Draak | Jul 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow... I was psyched when I received an *advanced reader copy but I had NO idea what was in store for me... I was "supposed" to be writing and yet I could not seem to put this book down. Every page...every chapter just kept calling to me and drawing me in! Honestly, I haven't read a thriller this good since The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Yeah, it was goooood.

On a sidenote: I loved the way the book was broken down by POV/chapters, which made it easy to keep track of everything. Even the Evidence Board updates were much appreciated.

* I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Readers program. ( )
  HarleyChristensen | Jul 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story grabbed my attention by the first page. It has been a long time since that has happened for a novel that isn't part of a series. The characters are interesting and the way the story starts is really intriguing. Now the book might not be ground breaking but it is a fun easy read. Highly recommended. ( )
  Randal37 | Jul 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very captivating, this story of a serial killer-4MK- and the detective who's been chasing him for 5-6 years. Sam Porter is called out to witness a bus accident. A man has jumped in front of a bus and found with the corpse is a small white box tied with string- 4MK's signature. Now the chase is on to find the 15 year old girl he has kidnapped. This story holds your attention throughout, 4 stars because I thought the "diary" sections became a little protracted.. ( )
  Brenda63 | Jul 8, 2017 |

Se7en meets The Silence of the Lambs in this dark and twisting novel from the author Jeffery Deaver called, “A talented writer with a delightfully devious mind.”

For over five years, the Four Monkey Killer has terrorized the residents of Chicago. When his body is found, the police quickly realize he was on his way to deliver one final message, one which proves he has taken another victim who may still be alive.

As the lead investigator on the 4MK task force, Detective Sam Porter knows even in death, the killer is far from finished. When he discovers a personal diary in the jacket pocket of the body, Porter finds himself caught up in the mind of a psychopath, unraveling a twisted history in hopes of finding one last girl, all while struggling with personal demons of his own.

With only a handful of clues, the elusive killer’s identity remains a mystery. Time is running out and the Four Monkey Killer taunts from beyond the grave in this masterfully written fast-paced thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 12 Feb 2017 03:10:02 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

J.D. Barker's book The Fourth Monkey is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

J.D. Barker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,110,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible