My Name is Markham

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (7.2 novella), The Chronicles of St Mary's {Chronological Order} (novella 7.6)

Like a smaller and much scruffier Greta Garbo - finally - Markham speaks! It's Christmas and time for the first (and almost certainly last) St Mary's Annual Children's Christmas Party - attendance compulsory, by order of Dr Bairstow. Discovered practising his illegal reindeer dance and poo-dropping routine, our hero, along with fellow disaster-magnets Peterson and Maxwell, is despatched to Anglo-Saxon England to discover the truth about Alfred and the cakes. In his own words, our hero reveals Major Guthrie's six-point guide to a successful assignment and the Security Section's true opinion of the History Department. And of historians in general. And of one historian in particular. And, just to be clear, it is time travel, for God's sake. Forget all that pretentious 'investigating major historical events in contemporary time' rubbish. This is history without the capital 'H'. Because this is the way the Security Section rolls!… (more)

This is a short story from the Chronicles of St. Mary's series. Last year I switched from print to audio for this series because I love Zara Ramm's narration. I hadn't paid much attention when I downloaded this audiobook and was surprised to find out it was narrated by Piers Wehner. It turns out that for the first time in the series the story is told from Mr. Markham's point of view instead of Max's. It was a fun change and a fun adventure for this edition of the Christmas time short story. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jan 6, 2022 |
Friendly fire, indeed. I think this was one of the most charming of the Christmas stories that has come out of St. Mary's, and it's not just because I love the hell out of Markham. And as expected, there was plenty of pissing and pooping involved. My expectations are fulfilled. :)

Gotta love it. :) Never give up, even if the cakes are little pieces of char. :) The play's the thing! Just look at the pretty lights!

:) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
A downright hilarious story told, unusually, by the security guy Markham in the time-traveling group rather than the historian Dr Maxwell. They’ve gone to see King Alfred “burn the cakes” and returned to the rollicking, reindeer-pooping black olives Christmas party. A laugh-out-loud book. ( )
  KarenMonsen | Dec 16, 2019 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Christmas's Stories in the Chronicles of St. Mary's series have become a tradition by now. And if you're still reading the series at this point, it is save to say you're a fan and will want to read it no matter what I say. However, since this story is narrated by Markham, who probably also is your favourite character as he's the biggest disaster magnet of all, you really don't want to miss this instalment.

Add to that the Christmas party they need to organise and something about some burned cakes (that went mainly over my head, I'd never heard about it before), and you have a very nice afternoon read. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
My name is Markham and I am a recovering security agent sets the tone. and, we are off on another delightful vignette from Jody Taylor. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 1, 2019 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wehner, PiersNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,207,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible