The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren…

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe (edition 2017)

by Lauren James (Author)

1619111,133 (3.74)1
Member:Shadow_Sandy
Title:The Loneliest Girl in the Universe
Authors:Lauren James (Author)
Info:Walker (2017)
Tags:to-read, e-books-to-read

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James

So, this book is kind of crazy. At first, it seems like this long distance romance between a girl born in space and a boy she's never actually met before. Romy was born to astronaut parents in space, on their way to Earth 2. Her parents died five years ago, leaving Romy alone to get her ship to the new planet, until she gets a message from NASA that they have sent another ship to join her. The ship will catch up with her in one year and she won't be alone anymore. Romy begins talking to the captain of the other ship, J, and they form a friendship and maybe more.

Then things get crazy. Problems on Earth, communication cut off and Romy begins hearing things. The story turns to a psychological thriller. Is Romy going crazy or are bad things beginning to happen? What is real and who can you trust when you can't even trust yourself?

Overall I thought the idea was good. I liked that it was set in isolated space and the crazy things happening made me wonder if anything I thought was real. The twist was okay, not especially surprising. I would have liked a different reason behind what happens Like, I get that J was hurt about what happened with his parents and wanted revenge, but it seemed a bit over the top. And I wasn't surprised when he turned out to be the bad guy and there was no war. But oh, well. I liked the ending and it went by fast which was nice. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Ran recommended

A YA sci-fi novel with the pace of a thriller, this is a book you will want to read in a day. Sixteen-year-old Romy - Commander R. Silvers - was born on board the Infinity, a spaceship heading to Earth II, a planet Earth hopes will be habitable. Romy's parents were the ship's first caretakers; all of the other astronauts aboard were in torpor, but the stasis began to fail, and eventually they all died. Romy's mother couldn't deal with the trauma, so from the age of four, Romy was mainly raised by her dad. But he is dead too now, and Romy is the lone human on board the ship; when she reaches Earth II, she'll be responsible for setting up everything, from the buildings to the farm/garden to raising the embryos on board the ship.

So it's a surprise to Romy to receive a communication from the Eternity, another ship from Earth - one that's going to catch up with her. She exchanges messages with the commander, J. Shoreditch, who bears a striking similarity to a character from Romy's favorite TV show, Loch & Ness.

From here, the suspense ratchets up, and Romy doesn't know who or what to trust. Romy's character is a believable mix of contradictions: by turns competent and self-doubting, confident and terrified, smart and naive. The conclusion is satisfying, though the denouement is practically nonexistent.

Quotes

There are so many places on the ship that I avoid because I'm afraid of facing the past. But the past is much less scary than the future. I know what's already happened; I know how bad it was. I don't know what's coming, though. (220) ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 28, 2018 |
There's a lot that was good in this book-- a lot more than the blurb indicates, and I'd actually rate this almost a 4, but for the fact that the ending felt rushed. The suspense aspect was a nice touch. I had an inkling of what was coming, so it was interesting to see how it played out, and what angle the author chose to do it. What I liked best was how Romy learned about herself, and was able to use her strengths to face the challenges she did. ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 23, 2018 |
To say that Romy is no stranger to life in space is a bit misleading. After all, her past is a key aspect of the novel. The truth is that Romy has only ever known life in space – because she was conceived and born to her astronaut parents while they were a few years into their 50-year journey. When they died, she was eleven. This is important for understanding Romy’s frame of mind throughout The Loneliest Girl in the Universe because everything that happens occurs because she has never seen another human being in the flesh in several years. It also explains her naïveté in certain areas and as well as her mental health.

Everything else about The Loneliest Girl in the Universe must remain a mystery because it is too good to spoil. It is the epitome of an unputdownable book. Your concern for Romy builds from the first page as she is so open and honest about her experiences and her emotions. The lack of guile on her part makes her completely sympathetic, and the situation in which she finds herself is terrifying enough without the addition of the second ship. You are completely committed to finding out what happens to Romy before anything serious does happen!

In addition, the story has a wide appeal. The story has elements of science fiction, horror, and psychological thrillers within its pages. More importantly, each element is well-established and seamlessly interwoven into the rest of the story. Ms. James flawlessly executes the complexities of each genre and does so in a way that enhances the appeal of the story.

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe is the first book in a long time where I literally stopped everything to read it. Forced to make dinner when I was almost finished, I was even reading while cooking – something I have forever scolded my own children for doing. I could not stop, and I have no regrets. There was nothing about the story that disappointed. It remained intense from beginning to end, and I had no clue what was going to happen. It is the very best type of reading experience, and I want others to enjoy it just as much as I did.
  jmchshannon | Sep 2, 2018 |
Awesome suspense sci-fi novel. Quick read, much like The Martian.

Sixteen-year-old Romy is the first person born in space. Along with her parents, she is part of a NASA mission to colonize another planet. It will take decades to reach the new planet. One day something goes horribly wrong, and she is left all alone, except for audio messages from her therapist on Earth. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2018 |
For all the girls who've never felt brave enough to be the hero in an adventure story

Stranded on a spaceship speeding away from Earth, Romy is euphoric when she gets word that she will soon be joined by another ship, but as the Eternity gets closer, Romy begins to suspect that the captain has a mission all of their own.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,548,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible