Breathless

by Beverly Jenkins

Series: Old West (2)

A strong-willed beauty finds herself in the arms of the handsome drifter from her past, in this second book in the sizzling series set in the Old West, from USA Today Bestselling Author Beverly Jenkins As manager of one of the finest hotels in Arizona Territory, Portia Carmichael has respect and stability--qualities sorely missing from her harsh childhood. She refuses to jeopardize that by hitching herself to the wrong man. Suitors are plentiful, but none of them has ever looked quite as tempting as the family friend who just rode into town...and none has looked at her with such intensity and heat. Duchess. That's the nickname Kent Randolph gave Portia when she was a young girl. Now she's a stunning, intelligent woman--and Kent has learned his share of hard lessons. After drifting through the West, he's learned the value of a place to settle down, and in Portia's arms he's found that and more. But convincing her to trust him with her heart, not just her passion, will be the greatest challenge he's known--and one he intends to win...… (more)

Well I loved the fact we get to see the HEA for characters we met in the first book, while focusing on new love interests in this one. "Breathless" follows Eddy's niece Portia.

Portia is now in charge of her family's bookkeeping at the hotel they run in the Arizona territory. The family had to flee after her uncle Rhine admitted his mixed race heritage. Portia doesn't think she will ever find a love like her Aunt Eddy an is happy to just focus on her job. However, old family friend Kent Randolph finds Rhine again and asks for a job. Rhine agrees to let him work for him. Kent and Portia have sparks flying with Portia wondering if she can just kiss Kent and forget about him. We get some introduction to new characters as well as revisiting with the older ones.

Jenkins did a great job of making me think that Portia and Kent had feelings for each other and how suited they were with each other. Portia is easily understandable based on how her mother sent her and her sister away in order for her to have a better life. Portia's mother does pop up again, but it's a plot hole I expect is resolved in book #3. I also loved the back and forth with her and her sister Regan. Though I will roll my eyes a bit that all of their talk was mostly about getting married and what man. They both are strong women and I wish that Jenkins had thought to do a novella of them growing up in Arizona. The tales we are told via other characters about them learning to ride horses, do shingling, etc. were so interesting.

I also loved how Kent's life changed once he pushed back against his father's expectations of him being a doctor too.

We get secondary characters and definitely get to see that old adage, not all of my skinfolk are kinfolk in this one.

Also thankfully we have Jenkins acknowledging the times of the day with the women's suffrage movement and how it was excluding women of color. I also loved how we hear about Geronimo (and he even makes an appearance). I also could not believe that men of color could not be deputized and if they were murdered or stolen from there was nothing they could do unless a white man or sheriff came along and pressed the issue.

The book ties things up neatly with Portia and Kent, but things are left open about Regan. I am definitely going to find and read book #3! ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
super fun! love jenkins' writing a lot.

lydia1879 | Feb 1, 2020 |
It is always a pleasure to read Ms. Jenkins's books. They are filled with warm, loving, strong families who are fierce and loyal in both love and war. They are also filled with wonderful bits of history that add to the setting and context of the times. This book is no different.

Portia and Kent are practical, no-nonsense people who appear to have very little in common: she is a serious businesswoman with the education and experience to prove it; he is a restless spirit who's spent most of his time wandering around the Old West. A brush with the law makes him pause and take perspective of his life, and he decides to seek out Portia's uncle Rhine Fontaine, whom he worked for a lifetime ago.

Slowly but surely these two break down each other's walls, and their romance truly has a breathless quality about it. This was utterly delightful, and something I've come to love and appreciate from this author.

Only two things detracted from the awesome for me: the last minute kidnap plot, that felt completely tacked on and unnecessary, and the lack of proper punctuation. The copywriter and/or line editor dropped the ball on this one - misplaced and missing commas and periods galore.

Still, this doesn't detract from Ms. Jenkins's ability to spin a tale, and I am looking forward to jumping right into the next book, which features Portia's headstrong firecracker of a sister, Regan. ( )
  eurohackie | Dec 28, 2019 |
3.3 stars

The heat now glittering in his eyes touched her like a hand. “You are going to be in so much trouble, Miss Bookkeeper.”

I was really enjoying this one, more so than the first one because I thought the hero and heroine had better back and forth (I still had moments where I thought the dialogue was a bit stop and go), but the last 40% or so was pretty full of dropped in and random threads.
There was some awesome shout-outs to historical women figures and Jenkins does a great job of setting the scene, made you feel the West. There's not a lot of angst between our couple but I enjoyed their chemistry, not scorching but playful.
I just don't understand how the last half ending wasn't cleaned up more, it left you feeling as if alternate endings were dropped in together and messily meshed together.
Going to read the third because Regan was a character that grabbed my attention and Jenkins gives good historical feel and context (There's a tiny Geronimo and Lozen guest appearance here!). ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
ATW 2018 USA ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,288,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible