Two Nights: A Novel by Kathy Reichs

Two Nights: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Kathy Reichs (Author)

"A childhood spent in a dangerous cult left Sunday Night never with a bone-deep instinct for survival that's kept her alive into adulthood but left her mostly friendless. Forced into early retirement from the police force due to an injury, Sunnie retreats from an outside world she doesn't trust and sees little use for, until a wealthy woman contacts her with a plea: her teenage granddaughter has been missing since the day of a bombing near a Jewish school. Suspecting the work of religious extremists, she believes Sunnie's unique first-hand experience may make her the ideal woman to track down the girl and bring her captors to justice. As much as Sunnie would rather stay isolated, she won't turn her back on an innocent life in jeopardy -- not when her haunted past cries out for her to take action"--… (more)
Member:jeff.coatsworth
Title:Two Nights: A Novel
Authors:Kathy Reichs (Author)
Info:Bantam (2018), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Tags:2022-03 #15

Work Information

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs

To be fair, I haven't read any of Kathy Reich's other books, so it's hard to measure this book in context. On the whole, I found the choppy delivery off-putting -- so many short declarative sentences, so much terse dialogue. However, Sunday's broken past and interesting network of support carry the book along nicely, and the fast paced mystery flows. It's a thriller, with the genius-leaps to move it along that you might expect, even if some are a little less believable than others.

Advanced reader's copy provided by Edelweiss. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Sunday Night. No, not the day before Monday, the name of the main character in this book. Yes, really. Too cheesy for me, but I tried to overlook this. However, Sunday…or Sunnie (who is anything but) is totally unengaging. She’s a war veteran and ex-cop with some serious issues. A traumatic past has moulded her somewhat, but it never actually becomes clear exactly what that was…the flashbacks are woolly and unclear. Present-day Sunday is a rather dour, personality-less, fun-less, passionless loner and is now a PI, partnered with her twin brother, Gus. (Two Nights...hmm.) Although the ‘twin’ part of it seemed to raise a few eyebrows. Gus is quite a bit more likeable, thank goodness...I would have liked to see more of him.

So, Sunday is enlisted to find out who was responsible for a bombing that resulted in the death of two members of a family and the disappearance of another…Stella, the sister of one of the deceased. It’s certainly a case that needles Sunnie, making her determined to find all the answers.

The story moves at a reasonable pace, and if I’m honest, it held me enough to want to get to the end. However, I wanted to like Sunday, but she was just too colourless. The author adopts a clipped style…which I don’t like. I prefer verbs to have a subject…that style of writing just smacks of laziness. My copy was a pre-release copy, so I do hope the many, very irritating, editorial oversights were picked up. Hopefully, the editors spotted that the past tense of ‘must’ is very definitely not ‘must’.

I’m reluctant to recommend this if this author is new to you. If you’ve read previous books by her, you may be familiar enough with her to enjoy this. ( )
  Librogirl | Mar 13, 2022 |
Sunday Night is a recluse, living on a small island. One of Sunnie's few friends convinces her to meet a Southern scion, who wants temple bombers brought to justice and her granddaughter (Stella Knight) returned. With a troubled past of her own, Sunday decides to take the job given her skills as a soldier and ex-cop. She travels to Chicago and stirs up a hornet's nest, requiring her to bring in a trusted back-up. After several deadly interactions with the JJ zealots, Sunnie is able to figure out what they're planning. The highlight of the book is less the ending itself than the reveal of identity of the bad guys. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I received an ARC through Netgalley for this novel, in change for an honest review.

Where to start on this one? I was thrilled to see Kathy Reichs was starting a new series, and excited to read the first book. I was not so excited anymore after the first few chapters...
Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, per se, but I had higher expectations of this author.
Two Nights, although entertaining, is a pulp detective novel, with a rather unoriginal story.
Apart from the content of the story, there were a few things that bothered me in the writing. One being the seemingly endless product placement (I don't mind brand names being used in stories, often it's shorter than a full description and implies a lot of other information about a character, but in this novel the use of brands felt excessive.)
And the way the author threw in explanations for (standard) acronyms (like the ViCAP one), felt condescending and it broke the reading flow. It would have been nicer if it was explained in a foot note. ( )
  HeyMimi | Jan 1, 2021 |
I'm a long-time fan of Reichs' Temperance Brennan series, so when I saw that she had a new stand-alone novel coming out, I just had to read it.

The main character, Sunday "Sunnie'' Night is a recluse, living on an island off the SC coast by choice, following a severe injury that ended her law enforcement career. Her foster father is worried about her, so he recommends she take a case looking for a woman's missing granddaughter. The case is a lot more complex than just a missing teenager. The girl's mother and brother were killed in a bombing attack on a Jewish school. The missing girl was with them that day, but disappeared. Their grandmother is a wealthy and powerful woman....she wants to know who killed her daughter and grandson and where her granddaughter is. Sunnie takes the case, not for the money, but to help the teenage girl. The case quickly heats up....Sunnie is followed, shot and attacked multiple times as she starts her investigation. Is the missing girl, Stella, alive? Dead? Who took her and why?

I have mixed emotions about this book.

On the one hand, I love a good action-thriller story. The premise is exciting and there were some great action sections to the plot. The main character, Sunnie, is gritty, intelligent and capable. Her military and police training keep her in top form as she uncovers clues that this could be a much more involved case than she first thought.

But....there were times when I feel the plot was just a bit too much. Over-done. Not believable. Overly dramatic. Sunnie has so many demons from her past that I never really found a connection with her. Maybe if more details about her issues had been provided earlier in the story I might have understood her a bit more? That portion of the plot was just too slow to develop, and comes in fits and starts. A bit here. A bit there. More development of her character and information on her past earlier in the story and I might have been a bit more into it.

As it is, this is a departure from the typical Reichs' novel. It is a gritty, action-filled PI story. The book is well-written, as are all Reichs' books. I just think maybe it isn't a good fit for me. Sunnie Night just didn't grab my attention and emotions. I did enjoy the book. The basic plot was interesting and I wanted to find out what happened to Stella. But, I just really don't like the main character. I'm not sure if Reichs intends to make this a series....but, if so, it isn't one I'm going to pursue.

But, I do recommend that readers who enjoy PI thriller novels give this one a try! It's not my cup of tea....but it just might be the perfect summer thriller for someone else! Interesting plot. Great action scenes. And thrilling conclusion!

For more information on the author and her books, check out her website: http://kathyreichs.com/

JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,341,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible