Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Almost Sisters: A Novel by Joshilyn…

The Almost Sisters: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Joshilyn Jackson (Author)

Member:deldevries
Title:The Almost Sisters: A Novel
Authors:Joshilyn Jackson (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2018), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:try again
Tags:audio, Libby

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

This novel is her best one yet. ( )
  Cheryl.Russell | May 25, 2019 |
Wow! This book was not what I expected! And I mean that in the best possible way! I’d read and enjoyed previous books by Joshilyn Jackson, so as soon as I saw she had a new one, I was interested. And I expected to be entertained, so that wasn’t a surprise. What DID surprise me was how much depth the story had! I mean, if you only want to read it as a quick summer read, you can do that and enjoy it, and it won’t take you more than a couple of sittings to finish it!

But there is so much more going on in this book if you want to dig deeper. There is the story of 2 little old ladies who are best friends and protective of one another. There is the mystery of the bones in the long hidden trunk in the attic. There is the broken marriage and the teenage girl dealing with paternal abandonement. There is an unexpected pregnancy after a one-night stand complete with biracial child. And the story even has Batman! Book clubs are going to love this one!

I really connected with the characters and cared what happened to them, especially Wattie and Birchie, the two little old ladies, and Leia and Batman. I also love the cover! It kept me guessing awhile though about the sisters on the cover. Are they the little old ladies in the youth, or Leia and her step-sister Rachel?

This will be a fun summer selection for books clubs with a plot that you can move through quickly to finish in a sitting or two, but enough depth to lead to interesting discussions!

Visit the publisher’s website to read an excerpt or download a reader’s guide. You can view a book trailer below.

This book review is included in a tour by TLC Book Tours. I was provided a copy for review purposes. ( )
  Time2Read2 | Jan 26, 2019 |
Another intriguing read by Joshilyn Jackson. This novel is more of a lesson of the difference of the Old South and the New South and being a Northerner it is extremely difficult to imagine that the color line is still rampant. Given the state of our country, this read will wake up other white Northerner to the challenge that greets all people of color. ( )
  Gingersnap000 | Jan 23, 2019 |
Leia Birch Briggs, a graphic novelist, has always had a soft spot for super heroes. And on her last night attending the comics convention she finds herself in her hotel room with Batman after having met him in the bar. Unfortunately, several months later, she also discovers that she is pregnant. Because she is thirty-eight and she knows the child will be biracial Leia decides to keep the news from her family until she absolutely has to tell them. To complicate matters, she does not know the name of the baby’s father.

Before she can tell her family, she is called to assist her elderly grandmother who has developed health problems. Coincidentally, her half-sister and husband are experiencing marital troubles. So Leia takes her niece and they set out for Alabama to help her grandmother. While she is there a dangerous secret is revealed when a trunk is removed from her grandmother’s attic. Of course the situation must get worse before it can eventually get better.

There is much about families and their history and about siblings and their relationships. Bigotry and racial adversity also play an important role in the story. And Jackson introduces the reader to two very distinct sides of the South, on one hand the goodness of the friendly helpful neighbor and on the other hand the darkness of racial prejudice.

Overall Jackson relates an interesting but sometimes depressing story of family life in the south while at the same time adding a bit of humor and hope.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Even though this book wasn’t about a sibling relationship like I expected, I did enjoy it nevertheless. It was about family, how complicated and yet so simple it can be. There was some exploration of racism in the American South and it’s legacy. All the references to comics we love, art and relationship mistakes are also here. This was a fun book and the author really did an amazing job narrating the audiobook herself. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
For Jacques de Spoelberch
My son, Digby, began at exactly 3:02 in the morning on the first Friday in June.

"With empathy, grace, humor, and piercing insight, the author of gods in Alabama pens a powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South that confronts the truth about privilege, family, and the distinctions between perception and reality---the stories we tell ourselves about our origins and who we really are. Superheroes have always been Leia Birch Briggs' weakness. One tequila-soaked night at a comics convention, the usually level-headed graphic novelist is swept off her barstool by a handsome and anonymous Batman. It turns out the caped crusader has left her with more than just a nice, fuzzy memory. She's having a baby boy--an unexpected but not unhappy development in the thirty-eight year-old's life. But before Leia can break the news of her impending single-motherhood (including the fact that her baby is biracial) to her conventional, Southern family, her step-sister Rachel's marriage implodes. Worse, she learns her beloved ninety-year-old grandmother, Birchie, is losing her mind, and she's been hiding her dementia with the help of Wattie, her best friend since girlhood. Leia returns to Alabama to put her grandmother's affairs in order, clean out the big Victorian that has been in the Birch family for generations, and tell her family that she's pregnant. Yet just when Leia thinks she's got it all under control, she learns that illness is not the only thing Birchie's been hiding. Tucked in the attic is a dangerous secret with roots that reach all the way back to the Civil War. Its exposure threatens the family's freedom and future, and it will change everything about how Leia sees herself and her sister, her son and his missing father, and the world she thinks she knows"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joshilyn Jackson's book The Almost Sisters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible