Here and Gone: A Novel by Haylen Beck

Here and Gone: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Haylen Beck (Author)

Member:Nevarezboss
Title:Here and Gone: A Novel
Authors:Haylen Beck (Author)
Info:Crown (2017), 304 pages
Collections:READ

Here and Gone: A Novel by Haylen Beck

How scary. I can't even think about something like this ever happening.

The one thing about the whole book that frustrated me was, what ever happened to being innocent until proven guilty? ( )
  Sharn | Mar 26, 2018 |
This is one of those books where you need to stay in the dark about it until you read it. The synopsis alone should draw you in. It drew me in!

I kept asking myself, "What am I reading? Do I want to keep reading?". And I asked myself these not because the book wasn't good, but because I wasn't sure if I wanted certain things to happen that seemed to be moving in that direction.

Let me tell you, the heroine in this book is a bad ass! With everything that she has gone through to get her children safe, then them being taken and disappeared, she does what any mother would do...

For a thriller, this was definitely a page-turner. Everyone knows that I love some big plot twists. There weren't necessarily any of those, but I definitely didn't see some things coming that did. ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love a great thriller. Here and Gone has great characters,nail biting action ,twist and turns. You wont be able to put this book down until you have finished. Then this book will be with for a long time. ( )
  WKinsey | Jan 16, 2018 |
This book’s storyline was so twisted and reading it infuriated me, which is a pretty awesome thing for a book to do to a reader. Kids are being sold on the deep web and law enforcement is in on it, so who do you turn to? I really liked it, but some people (my mom) couldn’t really handle the implication - it’s pretty dark and depressing to think of the reality of the story. But a good, suspenseful read. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jan 9, 2018 |
I have to admit that the book turned out to be better than I had expected. I read a lot of thrillers and lately, I felt a too many of them have an unstable woman as the main character, either past traumas, addiction, psychological problems, etc. So, I was hoping that this book would turn out to be better than I had expected when I started to read the book.

Audra has left her abusive husband and travels to the country with her two young children. However, when she is stopped by a cop in a little town her whole life turns into an even worse hell than the one she left. At the police station, the cops claim that she had no children with her when they arrested her and suddenly she is suspected of having killed her own children. As the TV reports start to report this event a man watches the news, and for him is this a chock because five years earlier, his wife went through the same thing...

Here and Gone is a fabulous thriller about a desperate mother hunt to get her children back. First, one doesn't know why they were taken, but then you start to realize the chilling truth. They couldn't have picked a better victim than Audra with her past addiction problem that could be turned against her. Through flashbacks, we get to see how right from the start her husband took control of her life and how he together with his mother dominated her life. It took some serious willpower to break free from that life and now she sits in a hotel room, accused of murdering her own children.

The most chilling aspect of this book is the realization about what happened to the children, why they were taken. Through the older child's POV, do we get to know what happens when they were taken and that I think actually gave some home to know what's happening to them. I mean, just leaving out the children's part would probably have added more angst to the situation. To an already angst-ridden situation.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

Here and Gone is a gripping, wonderfully tense suspense thriller about a mother's desperate fight to recover her stolen children from corrupt authorities.. It begins with a woman fleeing through Arizona with her kids in tow, trying to escape an abusive marriage. When she's pulled over by an unsettling local sheriff, things soon go awry and she is taken into custody. Only when she gets to the station, her kids are gone. And then the cops start saying they never saw any kids with her, that if they're gone than she must have done something with them... Meanwhile, halfway across the country a man hears the frenzied news reports about the missing kids, which are eerily similar to events in his own past. As the clock ticks down on the search for the lost children, he too is drawn into the desperate fight for their return.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Feb 2017 19:01:49 -0500)

"Here and Gone is a gripping, wonderfully tense suspense thriller about a mother's desperate fight to recover her stolen children from corrupt authorities. It begins with a woman fleeing through Arizona with her kids in tow, trying to escape an abusive marriage. When she's pulled over by an unsettling local sheriff, things soon go awry and she is taken into custody. Only when she gets to the station, her kids are gone. And then the cops start saying they never saw any kids with her, that if they're gone than she must have done something with them . . . . Meanwhile, halfway across the country a man hears the frenzied news reports about the missing kids, which are eerily similar to events in his own past. As the clock ticks down on the search for the lost children, he too is drawn into the desperate fight for their return" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Haylen Beck's book Here and Gone is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Haylen Beck's book Here and Gone was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible