Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher

Postcards from the Edge (original 1987; edition 2010)

by Carrie Fisher (Author)

Member:MeganWhobrey
Title:Postcards from the Edge
Authors:Carrie Fisher (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2010), 240 pages
Collections:Audiobooks, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher (1987)

This novel definitely clarified just how shallow Hollywood really is. I understand this is semi-autobiographical. What a life, if that's the case. I did like some of the writing, but some of it got tedious, like Alex's long rants. I just skimmed through parts of that. There was a lack of clarity in several places that left me wondering. At first I did not think of Suzanne as shallow, but by the end of the book, I did. At least I can say that I've read the book now. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Feb 18, 2017 |
would like to reread this one
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Brilliantly funny and revealing what drugs do to a person. ( )
  Thomas_Cannon | Nov 5, 2014 |
Brilliantly funny and revealing what drugs do to a person. ( )
  Thomas_Cannon | Nov 5, 2014 |
For my mother and my brother
BROTHER THOMAS
You know how I always seem to be struggling, even when the situation doesn't call for it?

When we first meet the extraordinary young actress Suzanne Vale, she's feeling like "something on the bottom of someone's shoe, and not even someone interesting." Suzanne is in the harrowing and hilarious throes of drug rehabilitation, trying to understand what happened to her life and how she managed to land in a "drug hospital." Just as Fisher's first film role-the precocious teenager in Shampoo-echoed her own Beverly Hills upbringing, her first book is set within the world she knows better than anyone else: Hollywood. More of a fiction montage than a novel in the conventional sense, this stunning literary debut chronicles Suzanne's vivid, excruciatingly funny experiences-from the clinic to her coming to terms with life in the outside world. Conversations with her psychiatrist-"What worries me is, what if this guy is really the one for me and I haven't had enough therapy to be comfortable with having found him?"; a high-concept, eighties-style affair-"The only way to become intimate for me is repeated exposure. My route to intimacy is routine. I establish a pattern with somebody and then I notice when they're not there?" Sparked by Suzanne's-and Carrie Fisher's-deliciously wry sense of the absurd, Postcards from the Edge is more than a book about stardom and drugs. It is a revealing look at the dangers-and delights-of all our addictions, from money and success to sex and insecurity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

When we first meet the extraordinary young actress Suzanne Vale, she's feeling like 'something on the bottom of someone's shoe, and not even someone interesting.' Suzanne is in the harrowing and hilarious throes of drug rehabilitation, trying to understand what happened to her life and how she managed to land in a 'drug hospital.' Just as Fisher's first film role-the precocious teenager in Shampoo-echoed her own Beverly Hills upbringing, her first book is set within the world she knows better than anyone else: Hollywood. More of a fiction montage than a novel in the conventional sense, this stunning literary debut chronicles Suzanne's vivid, excruciatingly funny experiences - from the clinic to her coming to terms with life in the outside world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,633,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible