The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal…

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (2017)

by Neal Stephenson, Nicole Galland

English (34)  German (1)  All languages (35)
A time travel story with a slight multiverse twist, mixed in with magic sounds like a weird combo, but it does work in this case. Told through multiple viewpoint chunks off different types by many different characters. The beginning takes a bit too long in my opinion and the ending felt somewhat rushed, but still an interesting read ( )
  Guide2 | Aug 8, 2018 |
I didn't really like this book which came as such a shock to me because all of his other books are my February favorites (and, amazingly, all for different reasons as with such different styles). But this book was annoyingly and consistently heavy-handed, from the constant acronyms to the military parody to the obvious foreshadowing to the various antagonists. Even the main romance was hinted at and talked about over and over. Any, finally, with the ending, I agree with it commentaries that it hints at a sequel but they also means it left it very unsatisfying after finally getting to a main informed conflict. All of which is to say, in other Stephenson books, spending the time to learn as remember acronyms and ideas is worthwhile (is cryptonomicon out seveneves) because it makes you appreciate later parts. Here, memorizing the acronyms didn't help and is just frustrating ( )
  Lorem | Jun 9, 2018 |
I want to change my tag to "Certain I'll never finish."

A juvenile, downright silly, paper-doll charactered attempt to Harry Potterize the CIA or some black-money cousin. A peppy heroine and her dull, sidekick West Point grad find a centuries-old witch and exploit her, or is it the other way around. A definite teenage adventure, except for all the struck-thru "fucking." in the text.
Good for recycling into paper bags, at least.
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
There better be a DODO book 2 in the works. If this is part of a series, I'll raise the rating to 4 stars. Entertaining read about time travel, witches and bureaucracy. BUT angry at the ending after having spent 750 pages engaged in a story with no ending. ( )
  ouroborosangel | May 22, 2018 |
I really liked this book at first, but over time, as the D.O.D.O. itself expanded, so did all the acronyms and departments until it just became impossible and distracting. Like some other cute and amusing things in the book, I feel like they took it too far and overdid it.

The premise of the book was interesting, but the motivation was a bit of an issue for me, and there's a lot that was just plain left unexplained and seemed random. It reminded me of some other time travel books, but they took it a little farther with the idea of infinite strands of different pasts, which was kind of different... although I still felt that they took the idea of making changes in history far too lightly and that felt, for me, like the most unrealistic part of the whole thing. Going back into history and interacting with people could possibly (likely) change more than just the one thing they were often trying to change, but that really is just kind of ignored unless the changes are so significant that catastrophic annihilation occurs affecting a certain geographical area, wiping things out as if they have never been... but even that left some questions as people who were annihilated in such an event were still remembered in the future by people at the agency, which to me seemed incongruous to the rules of their explanation, but time travel is always somewhat tricky for writers, so maybe I'm nit-picking. It seems set-up for a sequel, and if one does come out, I'll probably give it a try, although I hope that now that they have the foundation backstory set up, it won't be as long as this book, which was huge! ( )
  LongDogMom | May 19, 2018 |

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galland, Nicolemain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Liz Darhansoff
My name is Melisande Stokes and this is my story.

From bestselling author Neal Stephenson and critically acclaimed historical and contemporary commercial novelist Nicole Galland comes a captivating and complex near-future thriller combining history, science, magic, mystery, intrigue, and adventure that questions the very foundations of the modern world.

When Melisande Stokes, an expert in linguistics and languages, accidently meets military intelligence operator Tristan Lyons in a hallway at Harvard University, it is the beginning of a chain of events that will alter their lives and human history itself. The young man from a shadowy government entity approaches Mel, a low-level faculty member, with an incredible offer. The only condition: she must sign a nondisclosure agreement in return for the rather large sum of money.

Tristan needs Mel to translate some very old documents, which, if authentic, are earth-shattering. They prove that magic actually existed and was practiced for centuries. But the arrival of the scientific revolution and the Age of Enlightenment weakened its power and endangered its practitioners. Magic stopped working altogether in 1851, at the time of the Great Exhibition at London’s Crystal Palace—the world’s fair celebrating the rise of industrial technology and commerce. Something about the modern world "jams" the "frequencies" used by magic, and it’s up to Tristan to find out why.

And so the Department of Diachronic Operations—D.O.D.O. —gets cracking on its real mission: to develop a device that can bring magic back, and send Diachronic Operatives back in time to keep it alive . . . and meddle with a little history at the same time. But while Tristan and his expanding operation master the science and build the technology, they overlook the mercurial—and treacherous—nature of the human heart.

Written with the genius, complexity, and innovation that characterize all of Neal Stephenson’s work and steeped with the down-to-earth warmth and humor of Nicole Galland’s storytelling style, this exciting and vividly realized work of science fiction will make you believe in the impossible, and take you to places—and times—beyond imagining.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:27:06 -0500)

"Boston, present day. A young man from a shadowy government agency shows up at an Ivy League university and offers an eminent professor a lot of money to study a trove of recently discovered old documents. The only condition: the professor must sign an NDA that would preclude him from publishing his findings, should they be significant. The professor refuses and tells the young man to get lost. On his way out, he bumps into a young woman--a low-on-the-totem-pole adjunct faculty member who's more than happy to sign the NDA and earn a few bucks. The documents, if authentic, are earth-shaking: they prove that magic actually existed and was practiced for much of human history. But its effectiveness began to wane around the time of the scientific revolution and the Age of Enlightenment; it stopped working altogether in 1851 at the time of the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London. It's not entirely clear why, but it appears that something about the modern world "jams" the "frequencies" used by magic. And so the shadowy government agency--the Department of Diachronic Operations, or DODO--gets cracking on its real mission: to develop a device that is shielded from whatever it is that interferes with magic and thus send Diachronic Operatives back in time to meddle with history"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible