The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal…

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (edition 2018)

by Neal Stephenson (Author), Nicole Galland (Author)

"Boston, present day. A young man from a shadowy government agency shows up at an Ivy League university and offers an eminent professor a lot of money to study a trove of recently discovered old documents. The only condition: the professor must sign an NDA that would preclude him from publishing his findings, should they be significant. The professor refuses and tells the young man to get lost. On his way out, he bumps into a young woman--a low-on-the-totem-pole adjunct faculty member who's more than happy to sign the NDA and earn a few bucks. The documents, if authentic, are earth-shaking: they prove that magic actually existed and was practiced for much of human history. But its effectiveness began to wane around the time of the scientific revolution and the Age of Enlightenment; it stopped working altogether in 1851 at the time of the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London. It's not entirely clear why, but it appears that something about the modern world "jams" the "frequencies" used by magic. And so the shadowy government agency--the Department of Diachronic Operations, or DODO--gets cracking on its real mission: to develop a device that is shielded from whatever it is that interferes with magic and thus send Diachronic Operatives back in time to meddle with history"--… (more)
Member:alanca
Title:The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
Authors:Neal Stephenson (Author)
Other authors:Nicole Galland (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2018), Edition: Reprint, 768 pages
Collections:Kindle library, To read

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson

Recently added bytsingtao, INparrothead, private library, nwchap, ohcuriously, ajrob68, Ygraine, alanca

English (55)  German (1)  All languages (56)
If you ever need a book that makes adventuring through time the most annoying, frustrating kafka-esque problem imaginable, then I have just the thing for you. ( )
  sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |
  sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |
Once upon a time Neal Stephenson was my favorite author then he lost his editor and his books spun out of control. Cyrptomonicom and Snow Crash were a long time ago. If you enjoyed the Baroque Cycle then you will enjoy this otherwise it may be time to move to other authors. ( )
  evilasad | Dec 3, 2019 |
I had fun reading this book. You'll have fun reading DODO too if you allow it it's eccentricities and indulgences. Suspend your disbelief. I don't want to ruin it for you but it boils down real magic into quantum science in a delightfully believable and understandable way. I really didn't laugh or cry but a chucked a few times but while it didn't engage me emotionally or by the heartstrings, it engaged my curiosity and mind and I really love it and tell all my friends about it too. I especially love witches to death. While magic is science, witches are magic: only women, only bloodlines. Except those Fuggers. Are they witches too? Warlocks? Anyway, please give it a go, you'll love it! ( )
  scottrifkin | Nov 24, 2019 |
Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland combine to author The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O, a science fiction/fantasy novel. The basic premise (spoiler, but you find it out in the first few pages) is that through history, witchcraft has waned as science advanced. A government research agency finds a way to restore power to witches, and is soon using them to alter history. There’s an underlying romance between two of the characters.

The story is told as a series of journal entries, memos, letters, meeting minutes, etc. This style works for the science fiction part, but isn’t very effective at conveying romance, and the romance is such a minor part of things that it almost seems like an afterthought – hey, let’s put some love interesting in here just in case somebody wants to buy the movie rights. The descriptions of bureaucracy ring very true, though – having worked for various bureaucratic organizations I recognized many of the characters. The villains, such as they are, are old white men who are so convinced of their rightness that they don’t recognize disaster until it’s too late.

Funny in most spots, tragic in a few. A quick read. Like almost all Neal Stephenson novels, it has an abundance of interesting ideas and an unsatisfying ending. I don’t know anything about the second author (Galland) but I didn’t see anything that was obviously her contribution. ( )
1 vote setnahkt | Oct 9, 2019 |

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galland, Nicolemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Liz Darhansoff
My name is Melisande Stokes and this is my story.

It could be a tool,
Could be a weapon as well,
When interests clash.
(DeusXMachina)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,576,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible