Rising Sun: A Novel by Michael Crichton

Rising Sun: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Michael Crichton

Member:mmiller112
Title:Rising Sun: A Novel
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Rising Sun by Michael Crichton

English (32)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (36)
This was a good story. The technology has certainly changed a lot since this was written, but the story holds up pretty well. ( )
  JustinKimball | Feb 14, 2018 |
This book seems awfully extreme until you think about how the US pressures and controls other countries' internal affairs (or tries to). In any case, this book was written before events in Japan changed the power balance and put China in its place as the nation everyone is talking about as 'owning' the US. Some of the underlying messages in Crichton's book are great, though in typical Crichton fashion his messages tend to be delivered through inelegant, preachy, lecture style dialogue rather than more finely crafted, nuanced storytelling. If you can get past the irritation of being lectured at for ~400pgs, though, this was an entertaining and interesting book about Japanese culture and norms as they are perceived in the US, and about the ways that countries influence each other under the radar of popular press and mainstream media. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Michael Crichton books are hit and miss with me. Especially when the books are really dated, like Rising Sun. I’m sure it seemed more cutting edge and suspenseful in 1992. Even then I bet people thought it was sort of a rip off of Die Hard. Hollywood has learned how to take this basic plot outline and do it 100% better. Plus it’s full of racism against Japanese. The only reason to read this book in today’s world is if you really want to read through all of the Crichton collection. ( )
  Rosenectur | Mar 10, 2016 |
good @ Japanese murder here - their customs - own LA etc

christinejoseph | Jan 30, 2016 |
I'm not a big Crichton fan, but found this book fun -- mostly because of the characters who are dealing with culture shock. If you've ever lived abroad, you can certainly sympathize with the characters who feel overwhelmed by the cultural differences they encounter as they start to untangle the mystery behind a young woman's death. Crichton seems to warning us against doing business with the Japanese, but one can ignore his Red scare tactics... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
We are entering a world where the old rules no longer apply. --Phillip Sanders
Business is war. --Japanese motto
To my mother, Zula Mille Crichton
Actually, I was sitting on my bed in my apartment in Culver City, watching the Lakers game with the sound turned off, while I tried to study vocabulary for my introductory Japanese class.
Er wacht ons een wereld waarin de oude regels niet meer van toepassing zijn. (Phillip Sanders)
Zakendoen is oorlog. (Japans motto)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345380371, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

During the grand opening celebration of the new American headquarters of an immense Japanese conglomerate, the dead body of a beautiful woman is found. The investigation begins, and immediately becomes a headlong chase through a twisting maze of industrial intrigue and a violent business battle that takes no prisoners.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,532,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible