Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Royal Flash by George MacDonald Fraser
1,2022210,137 (3.92)19
Recently added bycolinsamuels, private library, nowviskie, DanielSTJ, James.Appleby, RobNoB, muwaffaq, DougBaker
Legacy LibrariesNelson Algren
    The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (AlexBr)
    AlexBr: Harry Flashman believes Anthony Hope got the idea for 'The Prisoner of Zenda' from him.
    Skeleton-in-Waiting by Peter Dickinson (ehines)
    Kingdom Of The Burning Cow by T. Edward Devilish (MrBookface)
    MrBookface: More dastardly antics from a roguish anti-hero.
    Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair by David Stuart Davies (simon_carr)

English (21)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (22)
3.5 ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
We had moved here and this proved topical. It was a humid summer and the house was gradually coming together. I'd come home from work and then attend to some task, usually making quite the mess. I lack facility in such matters. I read a number of story collections that summer, I also read a Flashman. The novel's layered plot I found engaging, though not the execution thereof. Who can complain about a protagonist whose favorite verb is roger? Sure, the politics are incredibly reactionary and the pacing akin to genre norms. That said, I did buy a couple more more future diversion. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A personagem de Harry Flashman é muito interessante como cobarde, aldrabão e trapaceiro conseguindo sobreviver às situações mais incríveis. Este segundo livro é uma leitura mais interessante que o primeiro e mostra-o cada vez mais à vontade em situações do arco da velha. As personagens históricas que ele conhece ainda torna os livros mais interessantes. Uma boa leitura de aventuras ( )
  bruc79 | Mar 27, 2016 |
The second Flashman book is the weakest I have read so far. Compared to the other ones, there is a lot of inaccurate information present whereas usually Fraser's careful attention to detail is one of the joys in reading about Flashy's exploits. In 1848, Otto von Bismarck was not yet in an important position (just a Prussian member of parliament) and would never have had such influence to intervene in the fictional country.

Like his virtual successor James Bond, Harry Flashman's adventures are a sequence of capture and escape, interrupted by bedding activities. The Flashman girl in this episode is Lola Montez (whose Anglo-Irish background I have not known, though I have seen her portrait among the gallery of beauties in the wonderful but stuffed with tourists Nymphenburg Palace in Bavaria.

The 1848 revolution era could have been much better used in the Flashman timeline from the revolution in Paris to those in Italy and Hungary. Plenty of much better episodes than this fictional and unhistorical prelude to German unification. ( )
  jcbrunner | Oct 8, 2015 |
    Errol Flynn,
      Basil Rathbone,
        Louis Hayward,
          Tyrone Power,
and all the rest of them.
The second packet of the Flashman Papers-that great collection of manuscript discovered in a saleroom in Leicestershire in 1965-continues the career of the author, Harry Flashman, from the point where the first instalment ended in the autumn of 1842.

"In the sequel to Flashman, Harry Paget Flashman becomes embroiled in Otto von Bismarck's plan to topple Europe but finds that he is an assassin's target and flees after losing jewels to Lola Montez"--NoveList.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,509,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible