Sassinak (The Planet Pirates) by Anne…

Sassinak (The Planet Pirates) (edition 1991)

by Anne McCaffrey (Author)

Series: Planet Pirates (1), Ireta (3)

Sassinak was 12 when the raiders came. Old enough to be used, young enough to be broken - or so they thought. But they reckoned without the girl's will forged into a steely resolve to revenge herself on the pirates who had killed her parents and friends.
Member:SmithLibrarian
Title:Sassinak (The Planet Pirates)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Time Warner Books Uk (1991), 333 pages

Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey

Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Sassinak and Gabriel's Ghost are both entertaining adventure/space opera stories with a strong female protagonists, though romance plays a larger role in Gabriel's Ghost.

I just reread this book. I still love the strong heroine and the basic story, even after all this time. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
Sassinak was 12 when the pirates came and enslaved her. But she could not be broken by their treatment of her and eventually she escaped. She joins the Fleet and becomes a Fleet Captain and then she can chase pirates. I wasn't enthralled enough by this debut to read any more in this series. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 17, 2017 |
I wanted to rate this higher than I did... Sassinak starts out well, with a clear writing style, a strong story, and a sympathetic and capable heroine. She is competent, smart, and fair. I like that she befriends people that others have a prejudice against. I also like that she is relatively relaxed in her relationships. They start, and they end, and no fuss is needed on that account.
The reason I'm not rating this higher, is that I started missing more and more about the story, until I really couldn't quite follow in the last part of the book. Perhaps I was not reading carefully enough. On the other hand, I read this the same I read everything else. If I was less attentive at certain parts, it was because they were not interesting enough. In any case, I went back to certain parts when I got lost, and I still couldn't quite make heads or tails of it. What I did get is that the way the traitor on board was finally found came pretty much falling out of the sky. So 3.5 because I liked the good parts, but not higher than that... ( )
  zjakkelien | Sep 9, 2014 |
My favourite of the three in this series. Main character Sassinak is determined, tough, resourceful, fair, and fun as well. You could perhaps argue she's a bit too good, especially in her friendships with the other alien races that McCaffrey and Moon populate the environment with. It's a lot better than the clumsy way that McCaffrey et al treat inter-species relationships in the next two books. ( )
1 vote comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
No dragons, but good characters and interesting plots. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 10, 2011 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moon, Elizabethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman,StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Ireta (3)

Belongs to Publisher Series

By the time anyone noticed that the carrier was overdue, no one cared.

OLD ENOUGH TO BE USED, YOUNG ENOUGH TO BE BROKEN

Sassinak was twelve when the raiders came. That made her just the right age: Old enough to be used, young enough to be broken. Or so the slavers thought. But Sassy turned out to be a little different from your typical slave girl. Maybe it was her unusual physical strength. Maybe it was her friendship with the captured Fleet crewman. Maybe it was her spirit. Whatever it was, it wouldn't let her resign herself to the life of a slave. She bided her time, watched for her moment. Finally it came and she escaped.

But that was only the beginning for Sassinak. Now she's a Fleet Captain with a pirate-chasing ship of her own, and only one regret in her life: not enough pirates.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,590,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible