You're in the Wrong Bathroom!: And 20…

by Laura Erickson-Schroth (Author)

Member:FCClibraryoshkosh
Title:"You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming People
Authors:Laura Erickson-Schroth (Author)
Info:Beacon Press (2017), 194 pages
Tags:Non-Fiction

"You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People by Laura Erickson-Schroth

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book clearly lays out and demolishes the myths about trasgender people. It is on a high school or later middle school writing level so it's easy to read. It's calm and clear in a world of wild rumors. There are plenty of resources and help for people who need it. It's low on rhetoric and high on logic and calm.
  FCClibraryoshkosh | Apr 12, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First off, I have to say that I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program, and I am grateful to the publisher for the copy of this book.

I will say that I did not have super high hopes for this, mostly because I haven't seen a kind of 'introduction to transgender' done well before, but this surprised me with its nuance! The authors do a pretty decent job of painting trans people as more than a monolith, and always leave room for a lot of difference within the community, which I really enjoyed and found interesting. My one major complaint is that although there are "notes" in the back, these notes are not connected to specific claims in the book, so when I come across something that makes me go "oh???" I can't find the exact place the authors got that information. I understand why they might not use foot or endnotes (some readers might find them intimidating) but it was something I missed.

I will also say this isn't really a 101-level book, either; more like 102, maybe. It felt accessible but like maybe there was a little bit of previous knowledge needed. I could be wrong though, as I have a hard time gauging these things.

Overall, I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see how nuanced this book was, and encourage folks who might have questions to seek it out! ( )
  aijmiller | Mar 26, 2018 |
pretty informative and easy to understand ( )
  Jessinikkip | Mar 18, 2018 |
Good info, perhaps too academic As it is now LGBT Pride Month it seemed like this would be a good book to read. In light of the hysteria over transgender people using what bathrooms the title and book seemed quite apt for giving people much needed information.

The book is basically what it says on the tin: the authors look at 21 myths about transgender people. Some are probably familiar to the reader: that transgender people use the "wrong" bathroom if they don't "look" a certain way, that transgender people are mentally ill and the like. And there might be some that are not so obvious: I had never heard of the concept that all transgender people all secretly want to be Barbie or Ken.

So it was a learning experience. Backed by anecdotes, statistical data, research, and historical examples the authors go through and dismantle various myths. Overall the book was informative, even when I was already familiar with the myth. It's also relatively short so if you're looking for a primer for someone (a parent or a friend who wants more information) I think this might be a good pick.

There are also resources of sites, groups, organizations, legal resources, etc. that you may find helpful.

The only problem I had with the book was that the writing was quite dry and academic. My interest in the subject matter kept me going but I could really only read a few chapters at a time (and the chapters are really not that long at all from a few pages to maybe 7-8). The book runs less than 200 pages including the index, resources, citations, etc. but I personally found the text a little excruciating at times.

But that should not be a detriment. As I wrote it's a relatively short book so it shouldn't be too intimidating for a reader who is looking for more information. If you're more familiar with the subject and/or the specific myths addressed by the authors you may feel it's redundant to your own information so those with better/more in-depth knowledge may want to skim this first before deciding if you really want/need the book. But I definitely recommend reading it. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Honestly, I thought this would be more interesting than it was. It was whiny and spent much of the book whingeing on and on about how cisgendered people make life so hard for trans people. So it wasn't really myths debunked -- it was just a slog of whiny soapbox. I know a number of trans people (and genderfluid, and genderqueer) and nothing about this book answered any of the things I have wondered about their world but have been too polite to ask.
  jwpell | Nov 12, 2017 |
There are approximately one million transgender people in the United States, and chances are you have met one (or more) of them.

Debunks the twenty-one most common myths and misperceptions about transgender issues. --Publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laura Erickson-Schroth's book "You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender People is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laura Erickson-Schroth's book "You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender People was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,810,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible