Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

One, two, buckle my shoe : a Hercule Poirot…

One, two, buckle my shoe : a Hercule Poirot novel (original 1940; edition 2004)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (21)

A popular dentist is gunned down and a broken shoe buckle is the key to solving the murder.
Member:rickycatto
Title:One, two, buckle my shoe : a Hercule Poirot novel
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:New York, NY : PerfectBound, 2004.
Tags:to-read, audiobooks

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie (1940)

English (39)  Spanish (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (44)
The death of Poirot’s dentist reunites him with Inspector Japp for one final investigation together.

An unusually bleak foray for Dame Agatha, coinciding with the onset of World War II, and investigating conflicts between conservatism and communism. It’s not always subtle, nor brilliant, but it’s an interesting step for Christie. However, "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe" is neither particularly eye-catching nor, for that matter, unpredictable… at least in the murder mystery elements. Poirot – who starts the book the victim of some very gleeful humour regarding his fear of dentists – is forced to face his own conscience, and the resulting dilemma is very well articulated. (Perhaps needless to say, at the point, the eponymous nursery rhyme ain’t all that important. It was a useful gambit around which Christie could set a story, but often ended in nought.)

Is there anything terrible about this novel? No, not in the least. It’s readable, and Japp puts in a strong performance. The David Suchet adaptation – while not my personal favourite – was the series’ first real foray into bleakness, and plays it well.

[US readers - lucky you - got not one but two alternative titles for this book: The Patriotic Murders and An Overdose of Death.]

Poirot ranking: 27th out of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Nov 15, 2020 |
Excellent with twists and turns. ( )
  devendradave | Sep 1, 2020 |
So this book is Poirot heavy. After reading the previous books which were pretty light on Poirot, I thought this would be a welcome change. Too bad it wasn't. To this day The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Murder on the Orient Express are the smartest Poirot books. I have not read one this year I think that tops those two books.

This entire book was just painful to get through. The big problem is that when Christie immerses readers into Poirot's thought process you get bored. You read about him struggling, about something is eluding his memory, he gets tripped up here and there. I liked to be wowed in books like this. I want to feel as if the main character is smarter than the criminals. We literally in book timeline have to wait about 2-3 months i think for Poirot to realize what is going on and why. It was maddening.

Additionally, though I was not able to figure out who did it in this one, I remember feeling when the murderer is identified and the reason behind the murders, that it was a dumb reason to murder the people involved with this case. And what galled me was that Poirot and others in there own way were seeing things on this person's side. I booed the whole book at that point. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Very convoluted mystery, with turns in a direction I never expected. Excellent Christie. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Nov 7, 2019 |
aka "An Overdose of Death" ( )
  phollis68 | Apr 9, 2019 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahmavaara, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, GeoffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, GraemePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One, two, buckle my shoe,
Three, four, shut the door,
Five, six, pick up sticks,
Seven, eight, lay them straight,
Nine, ten, a good fat hen,
Eleven, twelve, men must delve,
Thirteen, fourteen, Maids are courting,
Fifteen, sixteen, Maids in the kitchen,
Seventeen, eighteen, Maid in waiting,
Nineteen, twenty, my plate's empty....
To Dorothy North
who likes detective stories and cream,
in the hope it may make up to her for
the absence of the latter!
Mr. Morley was not in the best of tempers at breakfast.
Hercule Poirot said to himself, with astonishment in the thought, "Is it possible that I am growing old?"
aka An Overdose of Death / The Patriotic Murders

It was shortly after 12:30 appointment that Dr. Morley was found with a bullet through his right temple. the gun was on the floor beside him. The authorities were satisfied that the amiable old dentist had shot himself. Hercule Poirot was not. But who could have murdered him? One of Dr. Morley's glamorous patients? His hard-drinking partner? His secretary's disgruntled boyfriend? All Poirot has is a hung, too many clues, and a killer who will not be satisfied with only one victim.
-----------------
Japp led the way down the passage and Poirot followed him. His nose wrinkled.
"Not nice," said Japp. "But what can you expect? She's been well over a month."
The room they went into was a small lumber and box room. in the middle of it was a big metal chest of the kind used for storing furs. the lie was open.
Poirot stepped forward and looked inside
He saw the foot first...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,734,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible