Home At Last: A Chicory Inn Novel _ Book 5…

Home At Last: A Chicory Inn Novel _ Book 5 (edition 2017)

by Deborah Raney (Author)

851,035,133 (4.6)None
Member:mrsrenee
Title:Home At Last: A Chicory Inn Novel _ Book 5
Authors:Deborah Raney (Author)
Info:Abingdon Press (2017), 352 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC Book Reviews, Christian Fiction, Faith, Fiction, Women's Fiction, Romance, kindle
Rating:*****

Home At Last: A Chicory Inn Novel _ Book 5 by Deborah Raney

No tags.

I have truly enjoyed reading the Chickory Inn Novel series. Home At Last is the 5th and final book so I felt like I was saying good-bye to dear friends as I read it. Bittersweet but oh, such a wonderful book!

This book brings the story of the Whitman family full circle. It is an endearing romantic story full of faith, joy, family, overcoming challenges and well, life! Ms. Raney truly knows how to write a story and characters that come to life as her story unfolds making you wish they were your friends and neighbors.

Planning your Spring or Summer reading? Add them in or better yet- read them any time of the year. Home At Last and the entire series is well worth the reading!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Abingdon Press, Ms. Raney and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Mar 21, 2017 |
Title: Home at Last (Chicory Inn Novel #5)
Author: Deborah Raney
Pages: 352
Year: 2017
Publisher: Abingdon
My rating 5+ out of 5 stars.
The whole series has been such a joy to read and share with others via reviews! The series’ novels are intertwined so it is important to read them in order: Home to Chicory Lane, Two Roads Home, Another Way Home, and Close to Home. Just like authors, I think readers get attached to characters too, and for me this series really grabbed my heart. The Whitman family are the central characters of the novels with each novel centering on one or two members of the family. The parents of the siblings have their home renovated to become an inn and now years later they want to make some changes.
Their only unmarried child, Link, might be getting serious about a woman whose background and experiences bring doubt into the mind of Shay because she can’t see a way for their relationship to work with all the baggage that comes with her. With her usual touch of compassion and brilliance, Deborah paints the challenges biracial families might face.
On top of that, Shay’s brother is in jail for a long time so Shay and her father are raising his daughter who is a precocious 5-year-old and really funny at times. Through the novel there are moments of tenderness, love, faith along with danger, suspense and tension. Sounds like real life does it not? Well, that is the beauty of Deborah’s series; they really do touch the heart and mind as they reflect what families might go through and how they handle both the good times and the challenges.
As I read this last novel, memories flooded my mind and heart, so I could easily picture the scenes the author crafted for her audience. It was great that the stories include both the joy and sorrow of living which brought such a sense of realism to the tales. I hope readers will enjoy all five books in the series as they are all published now so readers don’t have to wait for awhile before the next book to be published. The Whitmans for a while will live in my heart and mind because they really reflected a faith-filled family with struggles and joys included and the constant change that families go through as life brings various seasons of change.
Carve out some time to read and enjoy the experiences of the Whitman clan and then share with someone you know who likes to read these great novels!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Mar 13, 2017 |
Link Whitman doesn't exactly find an easy way into the good graces of Shayla Michaels after a near-tragic incident with Link's truck on an icy road. But that's only the tip of an iceberg of obstacles that may prevent a friendship--and something more--between this white man and mixed race woman in Home at Last, a novel by author Deborah Raney.

Yes, I jumped into this series with the final book, without having read the preceding ones. But despite my bit of trouble keeping all of the Whitman family names straight a couple times, this last Chicory Inn novel didn't leave me feeling lost.

In fact, I was pulled right into the novel early, and overall, I remained quite engaged along the way. The story brings together its cast of very human characters to tackle real questions concerning love, friendship, family, race relations, prejudice, faith, and how we handle our fears and dreams.

I'll admit that I was more than halfway through the book before I got a convincing feel for the romance. For much of the story, it seems the development of Link and Shayla's relationship is strongly focused on the surrounding issues that can keep them apart without enough focus on building the chemistry between them, in real time. It's almost as if the romance is mostly happening in the background, and then serious romantic feelings pop into the foreground.

Nevertheless, this is a hopeful and thought-provoking novel that I enjoyed and would highly recommend to fellow ChristFic readers--perhaps even ones who don't normally read romance.
_________________
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Mar 13, 2017 |
Deborah Raney creates highly readable family dramas that are not afraid to tackle tough issues. Her Chicory Inn series has looked at infertility and infidelity, among other things. In the fifth and final book in the series, Home at Last, racism is explored in an honest manner. Home at Last made me think and re-think the issues surrounding race relations and my own expectations and attitudes. A great ending for a great series.

Link Whitman, the only surviving son in the Whitman clan, is the focus of Home at Last. At twenty-nine his life has settled into a routine, and he is wondering if he settling for a life that is somehow less. Shayla Michaels is struggling to raise her niece and help run her father’s business and doesn’t have time for superficial flirtations. But there seems to be something different about Link. Obstacles abound in their new-found love, not the least are objections from family and differences in how they view the world.

First and foremost, Home at Last is a well-written story that makes the reader care about its likable characters. Main characters Link and Shayla have a lot going for them and a lot going against them. Raney doesn’t sugar-coat the real problems that face biracial couples. This reader’s eyes were certainly opened. Faith is naturally woven throughout the novel with characters struggling to keep believing in the face of hardships that pile up. I loved the support that Link provided Shayla and the way they faced the future with realistic expectations, but with a big dose of hope.

You don’t have to read the other books in the Chicory Inn series to enjoy Home at Last. But I would suggest you start at the beginning. You won’t want to miss this excellent series. And with this one being the last, you can binge read without having to wait for the next installment!

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to Litfuse and Abingdon for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Mar 9, 2017 |
I am very saddened to see this series come to an end. I have enjoyed my time in Chicory Inn. The author has made readers feel like part of the family. The inn was the central point of each story as the family gathered there for dinners, marriages and spending quality time togther. Each story in the series seemed to build on to each other. We became acquainted with the Whitman family and experienced their trials and accomplishments. The final book in this engaging series is the most powerful and emotional book the author has ever written. She has surpassed my expectations of a storyline that some will consider uncomfortable and writes with real depth and honesty. Thank you for saving the best for last. I wiped away tears during many scenes and at times I was angry because of the ignorance of people that still see others differently.

Shayla is a beautiful black woman who helps her dad at the family owned bakery. She is a hard worker and fiercely protective of her niece. After her mom died, her father seemed a bit more stern in watching over Shayla and Portia. Her father has faced many hardships in his life and I admired his determination to make things better for Shayla and Portia. Shayla is bitter over the irresponsible choices her brother has made and it showed how one bad choice can have a ripple affect on others.

Link Whitman has run into Shayla several times in town and finds himself smitten with her. I loved how he looked past the color of her skin and saw the beauty she had inside. The story tackles the issue that goes on still today. Shayla knows what it is like to look different and wishes she looked like her mom. Her mom was beautiful with blonde hair and blue eyes. It was tough to be in a biracial marriage and the consequences for Shayla's mom was devastating.

Portia is a firecracker of energy and her smile is contagious. She is very well mannered and innocent. What crushes my heart is when she comes face to face with prejudice. Link is convinced that he can win Shayla over but after witnessing an altercation at the movies between Shay, Portia and some ill mannered young men, he starts to understand why Shayla is so unsure they should have a relationship. Will their relationship out Shayla and her family in danger?

This is one book where the author writes with passion as she shows readers how society still treats others with little respect. Will we ever get to the point where it doesn't matter what color our skin is? When will we remember that children are innocent and should not have to face hate at any age? I was very impressed with Link and his family. They welcomed Shayla into their home and made her feel welcome. I wish miss Chicory Inn but the author leaves us with a powerful message. Love is all we need and with faith we can overcome anything.There are bonus questions at the end of the book that you don't want to miss. I want to thank Deborah Raney for writing a book that we all need to read . Thank you for your love for everyone and helping us through Shayla and Link's story to examine our hearts and see people the way Jesus sees them.

I was given a copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity Group. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Feb 26, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible