Flesh and Bone and Water by Luiza Sauma

Flesh and Bone and Water

by Luiza Sauma

193749,407 (2.25)5

What I loved about this novel was how it made Brazil come alive. The author did a great job of describing the culture, the people, and the social system in place. There were a lot of things that I did not know about Brazil that I know now after reading this novel, for which I am grateful to have had the opportunity. However, I didn't like the story. This was probably because I didn't like André. When he is describing himself as a teenager, you get the impression that he was a self-obsessed boy. Not much has changed in his adulthood. I found his character to be annoyingly selfish and prone to being melodramatic. The story was also not that unique, so I really wasn't too interested in what was happening to the characters. The dialogue between the characters was also emotionless and that struck me as odd, since this story pretty much demands passion. Overall, this was just an okay novel - and that's only because of the great setting the author created. However, the story itself failed in execution. For those reasons, I'm giving this a 1.5/5 stars.

I received this novel as an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
This first novel is the story of a middle aged Brazilian now based in London. He has marriage difficulties, and is looking back at a teenaged love affair with the daughter of his father's maid. At one point the narrator comments his life is like a telenovela, and I think that sums it up pretty well. The puff comments talk about how the novel deals with migration, race and class and so on - it does touch on those things, but I'm not sure how meaningful those contacts are... ( )
  charl08 | May 9, 2017 |
Short novel about man living in London looking back 30 years to his teen years in Brazil. A well-written and well-paced story but the plotting was a bit canned.

I received an advanced copy of this novel from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!
  Well-ReadNeck | Jan 22, 2017 |

Brazilian-born doctor Andre Cabral is living in London when one day he receives a letter from his home country, which he left nearly 30 years ago. The letter prompts Andre to remember the days of his youth - and, above all, his secret infatuation with the daughter of his family's maid, the intoxicating Luana.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,984,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible