dismiss

The Duke

by Kerrigan Byrne

Series: The Victorian Rebels (4)

Imogen Pritchard is thrown back together with Cole Talmage, the Duke of Trenwyth, who seduced her years earlier when she was a maid in a brothel, first as his nurse and later as his neighbor after she becomes a wealthy widow.

Do we ever read about a man who chooses doe-eyed innocence in the face of terrible adversity? We didn't here either, but, of course, the heroine did!

Don't get me wrong, Imogen was amazing...I didn't even mind Cole entirely. But I read this for her. I would read it and enjoy it for her again. I enjoyed their quieter moments, and when Cole is tender and sweet he really is. I just didn't really think he had a right to his anger in the end there, I guess this is a problematic pattern with KB books for me. The hero always acts the fool at the end in the face of his steadfast love interest, and usually has no reason to do so....also just a weird preference here but I do wish when she was being nursed back to health, we could've seen his temper/angst/declaration other than through her hazy dream-like drug-induced state.

I will likely take a bit of a breather now, for a day or two at least. I'm not sure what I expect to find on the other side of it. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Kerrigan Byrne continues her astounding series of Victorian Rebels with the tale of The Duke. Collin Talmage has just inherited the title of the Duke of Trenwyth when the story begins. Before he leaves on his next military mission he is in a tavern celebrating with some soldier friends. While he is there he avails himself of a barmaid who he assumes to be a whore. In reality, Imogen Pritchard is a nurse by day and working at night in the tavern at night to work off her father’s debt to the owner. She is also a virgin, at least she was until Collin (aka Cole) pays 20 pounds for her.
The Duke’s spy mission goes terribly wrong and it is a year before he is found almost dead and brought to the hospital where Imogen is his nurse. The two of them have each been through terrible experiences and while Imogen recognizes Cole, he doesn’t recognize that she is Ginny the whore that he dreamed about while trying to stay alive.
The two dance around each other, fighting and arguing. The Duke doesn’t know who she is and is still trying to find his Ginny when she has been living next door to him all the time after she married his old and sick neighbor.
Collin is struggling to overcome the darkness inside – brought on by torture while he was in prison. He is beastly at times and there is a darkness in him that the reader wonders if he will be able to overcome.
Ms Byrne, does an excellent job of making the characters believable, even in their darkest places.
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |

Kerrigan Byrne is a master at writing the tortured hero with the strong heroine and THE DUKE is no exception. Book 4 of the "Victorian Rebels" series does not disappoint. It has all the wondrous aspects of a bestselling story you'd expect from Ms. Byrne. The plot is interesting and well thought out. The characters are very well written, I could definitely feel the tension.
Imogen (aka Ginny) is a nurse by day and bar maid by night trying to pay off her father's gambling debts. On this fateful night in February 1876 she meets His Grace, Collin Talmage, Duke of Trenwyth better known to his friends as Cole, who has recently experienced a personal tragedy of epic proportions. He is leaving the next day in service to Queen Victoria on his final mission before taking up his seat as the Duke and just wants a night where he can forget all his troubles.
We also get to revisit the characters from her previous books which is an added bonus. They are intricately weaved into the 2nd half of the story.

In short....I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! In fact, I went back and reread the entire series after I read THE DUKE so I've already read this book twice!

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review via NetGalley. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |
Imogen once knew and truly cared for Collin Talmage, and even though she had little choice when she was innocent, he showed her tenderness and passion. She never though she would see him again, but Collin came back to England damaged, and as a nurse she aided in his recovery. But circumstances forced her to make a new life for herself, where she married a man who was sickly but a good friend to her and offered her a stable future and a chance to make a difference. Now Imogen is a widow, but goes out of her way to help those in need whether they be starved children, or abused prostitutes or injured veterans or even thieves who want a different kind of life. But her new neighbor isn’t pleased with her at all. Imogen knows exactly who Collin is but he has no clue that she is the one girl he has been searching for years for, the one woman he gave his heart to. Collin and Imogen have sparks that fly between them, but Imogen wonders if she can tell this dangerous man the truth of their past or is it too late for them to have a future?
Plot and Story Line

Kerrigan Byrne just keeps surprising me with this series, with each installment I keep falling into the world she has created and what a world of danger and passion and the depth of true humanity that is divulged in these books. In The Duke, her most recent release we have a story of lost love and discovery. Imogen and Collin have a past with each other and there are some secrets too but its quite complicated so its not so black and white as it might appear to be. Imogen has a heart of gold, and she gave her innocence and her heart to Collin. But Collin has lived through a hell of his own. Returned to England, created his own fake hand for the one he lost in order to escape alive out of the hellhole he was in. Now when these two meet up again they are next door neighbors but Collin is quite hostile at first. He doesn’t realize that Imogen and the woman he knew as “Ginny” are one and the same. Tempers fly and these two go at it like cats and dogs….or some weird mating ritual because they also have powerful chemistry. I loved the bantering these two have with each other. Its quite lively and highly entertaining. Such a delight to partake of this author once again. She is unique and simply talented. She writes stories that are captivating and not what most HR authors writes now and that is what I love most about her. Its fresh and fun with dark edges that keep you coming back for more. I can’t wait to see what is up next.
The Cover

What a drop dead gorgeous cover…I swear they just keep getting better and better. I love her white flowy dress, and the way he holds her from behind.
Overall View

The Duke is evidence of the pure and unique talent that is Kerrigan Byrne. A story of love that isn’t easy and a romance that packs a punch to your heart!! INCREDIBLE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |

Perkins, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Monique
Who can see the forest for the trees.
And knows where to put them.
London, February 1876
Imogen Pritchard shuddered as the fine hairs on her body prickled with alarm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,179,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible