Skin and Other Stories (Puffin Teenage…

Skin and Other Stories (Puffin Teenage Books) (edition 2001)

by Roald Dahl, Wendy Cooling (Introduction)

Introduces teenagers to the adult short stories of Roald Dahl.
Member:rcoen
Title:Skin and Other Stories (Puffin Teenage Books)
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Wendy Cooling (Introduction)
Info:Puffin Books (2001), Paperback, 224 pages

Work Information

Skin and Other Stories by Roald Dahl

English (20)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
A great collection of short stories. Some better than others but that's normal. Roald Dahl is an excellent writer. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Sometimes I forget that Roald Dahl wrote books for grown ups as well and whenever I remember that the author of my favorite children’s book also wrote first class horror stories, it tickles me. This wasn’t necessarily a horror anthology, but it was a delightful collection of his more adult stories and, true to his fashion, he gave every one the barest trace of a moral and knew precisely when to end the story to get the most dramatic effect. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
This is a high quality collection of shorts, not aimed specifically at children. The stand-out entry is Lamb to the Slaughter, which is a wicked delight. I was surprised to find a precursor to the kids' novel Danny, Champion of the World here. That was the only one I was exposed to as a child. Should I take them up, now? ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
A few nasty shocks
hearing things one ought not to
cheaters, screaming plants. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Some of the stories were boring and some were creepy but others were like, what the hell is going on? I wonder if any of them could happen in real life. ( )
  barajash29 | Jan 22, 2020 |
That year -- 1946 -- winter was a long time going.
Judson lifted his head quickly and looked up. As he did so he saw the Mamba and the Mamba saw him. There was a second, or perhaps two, when the snake stopped, drew back and raised the front part of its body in the air. Then the stroke. Just a flash of black and a slight thump as it took him in the chest. Judson screamed,.....until gradually it faded into nothingness and there was silence. An African Story. (p. 69)
Skin - Lamb to the slaughter - The sound machine - An African story - Galloping Foxley - The wish - The surgeon - Dip in the pool - The champion of the world - Beware of the dog - My lady love, my dove

Introduces teenagers to the adult short stories of Roald Dahl.

Contents:

• "Skin"
  • "Lamb to the Slaughter"
  • "The Sound Machine"
  • "An African Story"
  • "Galloping Foxley"
  • "The Wish"
  • "The Surgeon" (first appeared in Playboy, 1986)
  • "Dip in the Pool"
  • "The Champion of the World"
  • "Beware of the Dog"
  • "My Lady Love, My Dove"

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,195,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible