Broken Moon by Kim Antieau

Broken Moon (edition 2007)

by Kim Antieau (Author)

When her little brother is kidnapped and taken from Pakistan to race camels in the desert, eighteen-year-old Nadira overcomes her own past abuse and, dressed as a boy and armed with knowledge of the powerful storytelling of the legendary Scheherazade, is determined to find and rescue him.

The story had a historical fiction feel, but yet there were computers and televisions mentioned. I'll admit that I am a sucker for the poor, strong female overcoming huge obstacles type of book.Set in Pakistan it involves customs that are foreign to us. The story started out strong, but I felt the ending was too "pat". This was an enjoyable read, but not a great one. Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to get any students to read this book...they don't seem to be interested in anything "multi-cultural". ( )
1 vote MrsHillReads | May 4, 2009 |
A beautiful story about a young girl who has to dress as a boy to find her brother when he was taken away. This is such a short read, but with powerful words packed into every part of it. The amount of courage it would take to do that is tremendous, and I admire the main character for that! ( )
  dinomiteL12 | Mar 26, 2008 |
Dear Little Brother, You whispered when you gave me this pale green book with the blank pages.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,842,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible