Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy) by…

Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy) (original 1952; edition 1996)

by Maud Hart Lovelace (Author)

Series: Betsy-Tacy (9)

Betsy Ray, 21 years old, is heading off for a solo tour of Europe, and her journey is filled with adventure.
Member:danipark
Title:Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy)
Authors:Maud Hart Lovelace (Author)
Info:HarperTrophy (1996), Edition: 1st HT edition, 384 pages

Betsy and the Great World by Maud Hart Lovelace (1952)

The Beloved Vagabond by William John Locke (Bjace)
    Bjace: Betsy Ray had read The beloved vagabond and quoted it on her trip throughout Europe.
    Jenny Kimura by Betty Cavanna (Bjace)
    Bjace: Both books are about young women whose travels are also voyages of self-discovery.
    What Katy Did Next by Susan Coolidge (Bjace)
    Bjace: Like Betsy, Katy travels to Europe. Her grand tour is a generation or two earlier than Betsy's and taken with a group of family members. Not as light or charming, but still nice.

Betsy travels around and finds out that people around the world are not so different after all (so long as they're white and friendly). Joe is mad at her for some reason (I think she talked too much to a guy while Joe was at another school or something). Betsy meets an exciting, loving Italian guy that wants to give up everything to marry her but it's got to be Joe so screw that guy. This book feels really different from the other books in the series, which has its pros and cons. It skips some time and tries to catch us up on what feels like another book's worth of events. We miss Tacy's wedding, Betsy and Joe's college romance, and Tib's general awesomeness. However I do like Betsy exploring Europe on her own and her being in England when WWI was starting up was exciting. I definitely wouldn't start with this one but I also wouldn't skip it. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Betsy is finally doing what she and her friends had talked about for years, going on a tour of Europe. From the cruise boat to the Azores, and to other exotic places such as Algiers, Venice, and Oberammergau, Betsy discovers the Great World she wants to write about, makes new friends, and learns about love.

What really makes this book stand out are the details, the descriptions of the streets and countrysides of her tour. The author based these books on her own life, which explains how we are easily drawn into Betsy's adventures. ( )
  fuzzi | Apr 1, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 16, 2017 |
I tend to read this book when I am homesick, because it starts with Betsy setting off for a year in Europe, and she is terribly homesick. But as the chapters go by, she gets over it - and so do I. She always makes me appreciate living in Europe again.

But it isn't always the most successful cure, because as soon as I finish this book, I of course have to read Betsy's Wedding, which describes her wonderful homecoming, and then the adventure of married life. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
It really encouraged me to go out and see more of the world. And when she was in London, she went to so many places I'd been, and reminded me of others I hadn't seen that I wanted to! ( )
  CallMeChristina | Mar 23, 2014 |

Maud Hart Lovelaceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neville, VeraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne/He travels the fastest who travels alone.
For Elizabeth Leslie
Betsy was chanting it under her breath to give herself courage as, laden with camera, handbag, umbrella, and Complete Pocket Guide to Europe, she started up the gangplank to the deck of the S.S. Columbic.
This edition contains ONLY "Betsy and the Great World". Please do not combine with the edition that contains BOTH "Betsy and the Great World" AND "Betsy's Wedding".

Betsy Ray has dreamed of seeing the great world ever since she was a little girl growing up in Deep Valley, Minnesota. Now twenty-one years old, she's finally getting her wish! From Munich to Venice, Paris to London, Betsy's grand tour of Europe is filled with adventure-and as a budding young writer, she is determined to make the most of the experience. But wherever she goes, Betsy can't help thinking about her estranged sweetheart, Joe Willard. Can she find a way to make amends, an ocean away from home? (0-06-440545-1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,214,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible