Spock's World by Diane Duane

Spock's World (1988)

by Diane Duane

Series: Star Trek (1988.09), Star Trek: The Original Series

1,019178,334 (4.01)11
Recently added byprivate library, jnicely, vwalch, Chaos42, NemeKris, DeeannJones
    The Romulan Way by Diane Duane (Anonymous user)

English (16)  Italian (1)  All (17)
In Spock's World, Diane Duane follows the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise as they travel to Vulcan to give testimony in a public referendum on Vulcan withdrawal from the United Federation of Planets. Duane takes advantage of the setting to explore Vulcan's history and culture, building on what screenwriter Theodore Sturgeon depicted in the episode Amok Time from the original series. Duane begins Vulcan's history with planetary formation, though the solar flare that catastrophically altered its climate from lush jungle to blasted desert, into the wars that plagued the Vulcan people, and Surak's teachings that saved them from themselves. While many parts of Duane's story would later be retconned, such as the details of human first contact with the Vulcans as depicted eight years later in Star Trek: First Contact, the overall novel captures the tone and characterization of The Original Series despite its setting shortly after The Motion Picture in 2275. Other inconsistencies include Duane referencing her other series about the Romulans, who she calls the Rihannsu, in this book as well as referring to the Klingon homeworld as Klinzhai and giving Dr. Leonard McCoy's middle initial as "E." instead of "H." The reader can overlook much of this as it was only with The Next Generation that the producers of Star Trek began to codify the canon. Even avid Trekkers will find plenty to enjoy in this story, both in its history of Vulcan and Duane's portrayal of the political intrigue occurring on modern Vulcan. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jul 25, 2016 |
A must read for any fan, because of the history and because, as others have commented, the insights to the inner lives of the characters, especially McCoy. Just don't expect to necessarily love it.

*To me* the history of Vulcan was mostly boring, and Surak's revelations read like platitudes. Some bits were fascinating, though....

I do advise you, before you read this, to refresh your memory of the episode of TOS in which Spock has to go home to get 'married' and in which we meet T'Pring and T'Pau.

Btw, I'm going to assume the author checked with Roddenbury, or at least his staff, and with scriptwriters and others knowledgeable of what had already been said about Vulcan history & language etc. I'm not nearly enough of a fan to be able to spot 'errors;' all I can say is that it seemed true to the established Trek-universe, to me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a rather interesting Star Trek novel and Diane Duane has a different take on the origial series Star Treks, with Kirk and the rest of the crew look quire different from later books or the TV series.

In this book, we are transported to Vulcan and its history from deep in its past to the present of the story in interwoven chapters. Although it is great as a stand alone book, the story has additional depths if you have read her novel 'The Romulan Way', which wraps the origins story of the Romulans up in another storyline in a similar fashion. ( )
  JohnFair | Sep 16, 2015 |
This is the only Star Trek tie-in novel I have read. I have never seen the original series or any of the spinoffs save the 2009 reboot. This probably disqualifies me completely to review it, given the rich, rich context from whence it sprang, but I'm gonna go ahead anyway.

Because [a:Diane Duane|11761|Diane Duane|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg] is awesome, and this comes very close to standing on its own. I am not sure how close -- I have some small knowledge of the Star Trek-verse (very small), and I have been reading fanfiction for a good long while now, which requires skills in extrapolation and extension which I am sure I was using in reading this (without noticing). But I think I would have noticed infodumps, which this does not have, and I think I would have noticed any over-reliance on canon, which this almost doesn't have. The only point on which this book falls down on independence of story is its reliance on some event about a duel and an engagement and some chick named T'Pring, for backstory. I am missing nuance about that event, but it didn't ruin the experience for me.

This is a book by a young Duane, in which some of the flaws of the early Young Wizards books are even more glaring -- her love of science sometimes overwhelms her storytelling, and her use of jargon could have used a much heavier editing session (the early chapters on the creation of Vulcan, the planet, are 98% skippable unless you really like a cross of cosmology and Big Bang physics). The transitions between Vulcan chapters 4, 5, and 6 are just plain weird and abrupt.

But it is eminently readable, has some great character interactions -- and some great, incredibly *alien* aliens, creates a living, breathing culture for Starfleet which has only minimal misogyny in its bones, and is funny as hell. Would read again! ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
My favorite aspect of this glorious book is the worldbuilding. Read this before you visit Vulcan. ( )
  Rubygarnet | Mar 26, 2012 |
Ms. Duane's meld of ''history'' and ''Star Trek'' lore creates a narrative that readers unfamiliar with the legendary television show may find difficult to follow... Ultimately, ''Spock's World'' is an insular one; only a few million ''Star Trek'' fans will know or care what's going on.

Diane Duaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Csatari, JosephCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillard, J. M.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The spear in the Other's heart
   is the spear in your own;
        you are he.

There is no other wisdom,
   and no other hope for us,
      but that we grow wise.

~ attributed to
      Surak of Vulcan
For
Kim and Nic Farey,
remembering U.F.P. Con 1986:

with thanks for the Klingon noisemaker that made me late for all those panels.
Prologue:

The joke in Starfleet is that the only thing that can travel faster than warp 10 is news.
Position yourself in the right place - on the surface of the moon, say, somewhere near the slow-moving dayline, or in one of the L5 habitats swinging in peaceful captivity around the world - and you can see it without trouble: the old Earth in the new Earth's arms.

7455.31
    "Whose Side Are You On?"

Spock looked at him, a steady gaze. "I have not yet decided," he said. "Logic must dictate my stance."

There was a long silence at this. "So after the debates," McCoy said, "come the votes. And if the vote is to stay in the Federation?"

"Then we go back on patrol," Jim said.

"And if Vulcan votes to secede?"

"Then all the trade and military agreements lapse.All Vulcan bases and vessels in Federation service will be withdrawn; all Vulcan diplomatic personnel, starships and starship personnel will be recalled." Spock said. "Those who disobey the order will be stripped of their Vulcan citizen status and exiled. The Federation will cease to exist for Vulcan."

Spock looked up, "You will be dead to us."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671667734, Mass Market Paperback)

It is the twenty-third century. On the planet Vulcan, a crisis of unprecedented proportion has caused the convocation of the planet's ruling council -- and summoned the U.S.S. Enterprise™ from halfway across the galaxy, to bring Vulcan's most famous son home in its hour of need.

As Commander Spock, his father Sarek, and Captain James T. Kirk struggle to preserve Vulcan's future, the planet's innermost secrets are laid before us, from its beginnings millions of years ago to its savage prehistory, from merciless tribal warfare to medieval court intrigue, from the exploration of space to the the development of o'thia -- the ruling ethic of logic. And Spock -- torn between his duty to Starfleet and the unbreakable ties that bind him to Vulcan -- must find a way to reconcile both his own inner conflict and the external dilemma his planet faces...lest the Federation itself be ripped asunder.

Diane Duane, author of three previous bestselling STAR TREK novels and an episode of the new STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION® television series, as well as countless other bestselling science fiction and fantasy novels, has crafted a tale of unprecedented scope and imagination, at once a generations-spanning historical novel and a thrilling science fiction adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:33 -0400)

A crisis on the planet brings the U.S.S. Enterprise and Mr. Spock to Vulcan in its time of need. The entire history of Vulcan and its innermost secrets are laid bare in the struggle to save the Federation and Vulcan.

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible