Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Crank (edition 2010)

by Ellen Hopkins

Series: Crank (1)

Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter, gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina. Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul - her life.… (more)
Member:leakelley
Title:Crank
Authors:Ellen Hopkins
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2010), Hardcover, 537 pages
Rating:*****

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (SandSing7)
    Tweak by Nic Sheff (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: A young adult's struggle with addiction to crystal meth.
    Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two novels of meth addiction.
    Lessons from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles (marcejewels)
    Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: For people who enjoy tales of young women facing very serious problems.

English (220)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (222)
So intense! ( )
  barajash29 | Jan 22, 2020 |
(This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

Okay, so yesterday I went to my local library to get a library card since I just moved back here. Anyway, I decided to check out their YA section (which was amazing by the way). I came across Crank by Ellen Hopkins which I've only wanted to read since forever!!! It was such a good book!!

Kristina is a high school junior that has everything going for her. She's a family girl, has great friends, and makes good grades. She would never do drugs. However, a trip to visit her father changes everything. Whilst visiting her father, she changes into Bree, the sexy brave girl who is up for anything including drugs. Everything changes for Kristina during that visit. No longer is Kristina a straight edge girl, she is now addicted to crank.

The title of this book is quite straightforward. Crank is an excellent title for this book because it lets you know exactly what's going on. Crank is definitely the main plot line in this story.

Okay, you all know how I am with my covers. I'm really picky about covers for books, so you probably won't believe me when I say that I actually like this cover. Yes, strange I know but there's something about how simplistic it is that makes me like it. It's a straightforward book, so a straightforward cover is a great choice for this book. Crank written in lines in what appears to be some sort of drug really suits this book.

Ellen Hopkins did an excellent job with the world building in Crank. Every scene in this book comes alive no matter if it's taking place during a good moment or a bad one. The settings aren't really described that much which really suits the feeling of the book. However, the surroundings in the book seemed to really transport me to wherever Kristina was.

The pacing is this book really took me by surprise. The first 2 or 3 pages started off slow, and I thought I had made a big mistake in borrowing this book. After the first 2 or 3 pages, the pacing really picked up. It flowed so well. If I hadn't started reading it so late, I would've finished it all in one setting.

There's not much dialogue between the characters due to the book being written mostly in verse. The way the book is written is really done well. The words used work together beautifully. There are a few swear words but not many. I think I counted maybe two or three.

Kristina is a very well developed character. All of her actions and thoughts seem to be consistent with a 16 year old girl. Her reactions to her experiences also seem consistent with her age. I liked Kristina because, although she is a drug addict, I felt that she had a sort of vulnerable quality about her. The supporting characters encountered in the book are also very well developed. They each have their own unique personality.

Keep in mind that this isn't a very long book. It looks like it would be a long book with over 500 pages, but it's written in verse so almost all the pages don't use the whole page. It took me about 2 hours more or less to finish this book. Also, please don't be put off of this book because it's written in verse. I've never been a fan of verse until this book. It's so easy to lose yourself in it and finish it in one sitting.

I definitely loved this book, and I am going back to my library ASAP to get the next book in the series. I can't wait to find out more about Kristina and her life.

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 14 due to the themes and language used. ( )
  khal_khaleesi | Nov 16, 2019 |
Crank is a journey, perhaps not even one about the character we follow from start to finish. It's a story of addiction, drug addiction, but there's a lot more to be addicted to than the drugs. It's gritty, surreal, and in your face.

Not a book for children, maybe best handed off to kids in their late teens, but honestly, I suggest it most for people in their near twenties. ( )
  Yolken | Nov 6, 2019 |
Summary: When teenaged Kristina visits her estranged father, she is introduced to crank. Everything goes downhill from there.

My thoughts: I’m generally a fan of Ellen Hopkins books, and this one was good, but not as good as I expected. Maybe it’s just that I was younger when I read earlier Hopkins books? But this one didn’t seem as heart-wrenching and there were not surprises about what happened to Kristina when she started her downward spiral. Still a good book if you’re interested in teen realism, but nothing to write home about. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Nov 5, 2019 |
Crank follows Kristina Snow's downward spiral after becoming addicted to meth. I love Ellen Hopkins and I really enjoyed this book, but I honestly don't think that it made the impact that Hopkins was hoping for. I didn't mind Kristina as a character, but I didn't really connect with her or feel any sort of sympathy for her or her situation. I also don't think that the book was as dark and gritty as it could have been. When you're trying to make an impact on teenagers, trying to convey the horrors of drug addiction, I think making it real to them is the best way to go. I feel like a lot of the effects of drugs and how it impacts a person and the people around them was really glossed over. However, for a quick read the book was decent and I would reccomend it. But if you're looking for a gritty, realistic portrayal of drug addiction, I would suggest Heroine by Mindy McGinnis. ( )
  Raven-Walker | Sep 24, 2019 |
Holly Hume-Kaina Sept. 1. 2010
Crank

In Reno, Nevada lived an average teenage girl and her average suburban family. Nearby in Albuquerque, New Mexico lived her deadbeat father. Kristina Snow was her name. She led a normal life, yet blended into her surroundings. A trip to visit her father turned her life around completely.

Upon her arrival, she meets the boy who would do this to her. This book shows the perspective of many teenage girls who struggle with drug abuse today. Often, two sides are shown once the drugs become an influence. In this book, the voice is split between Kristina; the good half, and Bree; the darker, newer half. I felt it helps you understand the story better because you can see the changes taking place in the main character.

Adolescents frequently trust their peers almost too much. We are constantly seeking acceptance from our peers around us, and when someone decides they've "fallen in love with you" or wants to be your "best friend forever", are we going to "Just Say No"? I don t think so. The majority of young people would do a lot of things to maintain that new found acceptance.

Bree has a romantic relationship with three different boys in this story. The first, introduces her to meth. Adam, (or Buddy)was the boy Kristina was sure of being her first love. The second, Brendan, manipulated Bree using meth and ultimately raped her, taking her virginity. Last but definitely not least in Bree's book was Chase. He and Bree experimented with drugs, and endured a lot together. Chase was the boy who made Bree reconsider Buddy as her first love.
Kristina finds coming home to be a lot more trouble with Bree taking over her mind. The storyline shows Kristina slowly turn into Bree; taking risks, being outgoing and mysterious, and flirting with different boys. She takes charge, and the rush of the meth allows her to maintain.
added by hkaina | editMyself, Holly Hume

"This book is dedicated to my family, and all families whose lives have been touched by the monster. With special thanks to Lin Oliver and Steve Mooser and their wonderful SCBWI, which guided my way."
Life was good before I met the monster.

Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless.

Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,301,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible