Startide Rising by David Brin

Startide Rising (1982)

by David Brin

Series: Uplift Saga (2), First Uplift Trilogy (2)

English (40)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  All (43)
Read as part of Uplift: The Complete Trilogy. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I initially read this back in the mid-90's when I was young and impressionable and enjoyed it.

It was kind of a meh" read this time. Of course, it being hinted that dolphins, humans and chimps all get it on together back on earth did not help." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
My favorite of Brin's Uplift books. The bizarre characters of different species all forced to live/work and try to survive together is fascinating. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Simply one of the best Science Fiction books ever written. The rest of the series isn't bad either, particularly The Uplift War and Heavens Reach ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I like this book well enough but I feel like I should like it more than I do, it has everything a good sf novel should have. Vastly imaginative, epic, some humor and good characters. Unfortunately I have a problem with the structure of this book, the cast of characters is too big and the author switches character POV too frequently. This type of structure reminds me of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books, except that the GRRM books are longer and the characters are better developed. Also most of the chapters are short and some are super-short (like a single paragraph). The way it is done here is quite disorienting for me, every time he does it I become a little detached from the story because I have to keep a tally of who is who and doing what.

While reading the first few chapters I thought that characterization was going to be a problem with this book because I didn't get the feel of any of them. As I read on however I began to realize that the characterization is actually quite good, the problem is that there are just so many important characters and it takes time to attune to any of them. The large number of plot stands and the short chapters make the novel seem fragmented.

With all that said I love the concept of the Uplift universe and can not help but plan to read more. Hopefully the structure of other volumes is not so fragmented. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cherry, David A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Streaker is limping like a dog on three legs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327418X, Mass Market Paperback)

David Brin's Uplift novels are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction ever written.  Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War--a New York Times bestseller--together make up one of the most beloved sagas of all time.  Brin's tales are set in a future universe in which no species can reach sentience without being "uplifted" by a patron race.  But the greatest mystery of all remains unsolved: who uplifted humankind?

The Terran exploration vessel Streaker has crashed in the uncharted water world of Kithrup, bearing one of the most important discoveries in galactic history.  Below, a handful of her human and dolphin crew battles armed rebellion and a hostile planet to safeguard her secret--the fate of the Progenitors, the fabled First Race who seeded wisdom throughout the stars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

After crash-landing on an uncharted planet, the human and dolphin crew of a spaceship from Earth battle fleets of alien warships.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,179,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible