Startide Rising by David Brin

Startide Rising (1982)

by David Brin

Series: Uplift Saga (2), First Uplift Trilogy (2)

English (39)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
I don't really like Brin's style - everyone, without exception, is plotting and scheming. Some of them are plotting for the good of the group and some for their own advantage, but they're all plotting. It makes reading hard, when I dislike everyone I'm reading about (some more than others, but even the middie gets annoying). When things finally start to happen it drew me in at last - that's the final quarter or less of the book, though. Some interesting philosophy, as far as I understood it - but I'm with Gillian, that's too abstract for what's going on. Magic (that is, highly improbable) survival of (almost) all the good guys. I've read it, I'll read the third of the trilogy, but it's far from a favorite. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 22, 2019 |
Read as part of Uplift: The Complete Trilogy. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I initially read this back in the mid-90's when I was young and impressionable and enjoyed it.

It was kind of a meh" read this time. Of course, it being hinted that dolphins, humans and chimps all get it on together back on earth did not help." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
My favorite of Brin's Uplift books. The bizarre characters of different species all forced to live/work and try to survive together is fascinating. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Simply one of the best Science Fiction books ever written. The rest of the series isn't bad either, particularly The Uplift War and Heavens Reach ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cherry, David A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, RainerÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, CoreyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"To my own progenitors..."
Streaker is limping like a dog on three legs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327418X, Mass Market Paperback)

David Brin's Uplift novels are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction ever written.  Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War--a New York Times bestseller--together make up one of the most beloved sagas of all time.  Brin's tales are set in a future universe in which no species can reach sentience without being "uplifted" by a patron race.  But the greatest mystery of all remains unsolved: who uplifted humankind?

The Terran exploration vessel Streaker has crashed in the uncharted water world of Kithrup, bearing one of the most important discoveries in galactic history.  Below, a handful of her human and dolphin crew battles armed rebellion and a hostile planet to safeguard her secret--the fate of the Progenitors, the fabled First Race who seeded wisdom throughout the stars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

After crash-landing on an uncharted planet, the human and dolphin crew of a spaceship from Earth battle fleets of alien warships.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,199,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible