The Doll Funeral by Kate Hamer

The Doll Funeral (edition 2017)

by Kate Hamer (Author)

Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:The Doll Funeral
Authors:Kate Hamer (Author)
Info:Faber & Faber (2017), 303 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2017, DNF, Mystery, NetGalley, Paranormal, Thriller
Rating:*
Tags:Thriller

The Doll Funeral by Kate Hamer

I would like to thank Faber & Faber for providing me with an advanced reading copy of this book.

The Doll Funeral is a DNF for me. I tried to stick with it, but even at 45% I'm still not getting into it. I'm reading for reading sake and I find myself hesitant to pick it up. When I do pick it up I realise that I have forgotten much of what I've previously read.

I had a feeling right from the start that this wasn't going to be the book for me. The opening scene, where the parents reveal to the MC that she's adopted, immediately put me off. It was absurd. It was insensitive and rushed, there was no feeling, no loving conversation, no understanding. They just throw it at her over the kitchen table, before she's even completely in the room, before she's even sat down, totally out of the blue and using the most ridiculous and unnatural dialogue. I was tempted to put the book down right there and then.

The writing style felt choppy and confusing at times, and too flowery at others. The dialogue wasn't natural, there was no flow to the conversation and it was unbelievable. The characters didn't come across as realistic. The younger characters within the storyline read much younger than they were. The main character is 13 but her voice was that of a much younger child.

I hate to leave a review for a book without finding something positive within its pages, but I'm really struggling to think of any as I have forgotten most of what I have read. Thank goodness I kept notes but I only kept notes of the problems I had with the book. It's a shame, the premise really intrigued me but the way it was executed just wasn't for me.

Not one I would recommend. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Mar 1, 2017 |
Reading this book is a classic case of one book by an author being a good read, and another being just terrible. I read The Girl in the Red Coat for book group and all members enjoyed it. So when I saw a new book out I had to order it from the library.

The premise sounds good. Ruby when thirteen is told by her parents that she is adopted. Her adopted dad Mick is a brute and beats Ruby quite badly. Ruby decides she is going to find her real parents. Ruby can also see ghosts and has a constant one by her side called Shadow.

I started out liking this book. I enjoyed the beautiful writing by the author and the chatty narrative by Ruby. At times she's quite amusing with what she has to say. As the book progresses I start to feel confused at times and don't know who are real people and who are ghosts.

Ruby befriends Tom who lives with his sister and brother alone, their parents have gone to find themselves. This for me is where I start to get bored. The story just doesn't seem to gel with me. At this stage I'm struggling to have enough interest to carry on. I was hoping that it may all come together but I haven't got the will to find out.

What I liked or rather who was Ruby. She's very plucky and I'm sorry I won't finish the book to find out what happens to her.

What I didn't like was the ghost element to the story. The book would have been a lot better without it, and just have Ruby and her real mother's story. ( )
  tina1969 | Feb 26, 2017 |
Pheew, this was a long, a very long read for me and sometimes I wondered that I actually only read a couple of pages in what felt like ages.

The concept was fascinating enough: a teenage girl suffers from her violent stepfather and hushed stepmother. Add to that the desire to meet her real parents and a newfound home in a neglected house with some weird siblings of the same age. Top that with her ability to see ghosts. Sounds intriguing? That's what I thought as well. However, the story was suffocating with slightly magical happenings, mysterious descriptions and dream-like sequences that it seemed to take forever to finish. At about a third of the book I was severely tempted to call it quits, but in order to write a substantiated review (and hoping that the book may just have had a slow start) I kept reading.

The book 'Alice in Wonderland' was mentioned several times, but other than feeling similar to Alice 'jumping down the hole' on several occasions it did not add anything useful to the story and was not explored any further. Based on these short mentions I could not follow Rubys drastic decision to burn this book because to her it felt 'evil'. The whole half-hearted allusion to that book should have been either omitted completely or turned into a more prominent recurrent theme.

While the writing was beautiful most of the time, it did not compensate for the mostly bored state I found myself in, wishing for something to finally happen. Towards the end there was a little more action and I did like the outcome.

That and the writing style barely saved the book from getting a 1 star rating. I guess there are a lot of readers out there who love to 'get lost' in a story such as this, but I am definitely not one of them. ( )
1 vote misspider | Feb 20, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,504,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible