My Zombie Boyfriend (The Undead Canadian,…

My Zombie Boyfriend (The Undead Canadian, #1) (edition 2017)

by T. Strange

Series: Undead Canadian (1)

831,765,854 (5)None
Edward Grey is a medical student by day, necromancer by night. He lives alone with the first zombie he ever raised, his childhood cat, Boo. Edward's life is simple: studying medicine, training his necromantic powers with his mentor, Mariel, and having weekly dinners with his parents. When he finds a very attractive corpse in a park and brings it home to reanimate, he accidentally creates a sassy, free-willed zombie who believes Edward is the one who murdered him. With no memory of his former life, Edward names the zombie Kit and tries to win his trust. Kit slowly adjusts to his new un-life with Edward's help, though he's still suspicious of Edward's role in his death and is convinced that Edward is hiding his former identity. Edward is very attracted to Kit, but understands why Kit doesn't trust him. As they become closer to one another, Kit turns to Edward for comfort and love. The fragile trust they've built together will be tested when Kit unexpectedly regains his memory and seeks revenge on his murderers.… (more)
Member:ktomp17
Title:My Zombie Boyfriend (The Undead Canadian, #1)
Authors:T. Strange
Info:Amazon Digital Services, Kindle Edition, 237 pages
Tags:to-read

My Zombie Boyfriend by T. Strange

This story took me totally by surprise. Something about it piqued my interest so I wanted to give it a shot. Of course, I hoped to enjoy it, but I had no idea how much I would love it. My Zombie Boyfriend is so different from most of what I read. It's the perfect mix of muted comedy/horror.

I've read a lot of zombie books, but none have ever given this same spin. The undead character is just as normal as the rest of us weird humans, so identifiable. In most zombie books, these creatures are soulless bodies reanimated because of a biblical-ish apocalypse or incurable virus that takes over the world. Edward is a boring medical student, necromancer on the side, who feels the urge to bring Kit back after finding him dead.

Edward tries to just proceed with life as usual with the exception of a new roommate. Kit is so wonderful. He's eccentric, outgoing, very full of life, completely opposite of what a reader would expect. I really got a kick out of how nothing that happens is that big of a deal to anyone in the story. All the characters just roll with whatever for the most part.

There is lots of humor, some cuteness, gore, creepiness—so many clashing themes that somehow mesh perfectly together. I'm very pleased to have come across this story. I couldn't put it down. In my opinion, it feels fun and easygoing while underlining acceptance of everyone. Questioning isn't really it's thing, it's c'est la vie, laissez faire. The author's writing style is particularly entertaining to me; so, I will definitely be looking for more books from her.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-zombie-boyfriend-by-t... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
it was a fun twisted story. Strange enough, the gory part of it was almost non-existent and it was basically like reading of a newly wed couple trying to understand how to live together without killing each other. Sweet and warm, and yes, light and funny.
  elisa.rolle | Aug 10, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,247,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible