The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

The Beautiful Ones (edition 2021)

by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

From the New York Times bestselling author of Mexican Gothic comes a sweeping romance rich with love and betrayal, with more than a dash of magic. 'One of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time' MJ Rose, New York Times bestselling author of the Reincarnationalist series They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail's most notable socialites, and this spring is Nina's chance to join their ranks, courtesy of her well-connected cousin and his calculating wife. But the Grand Season has just begun and already Nina's debut has gone disastrously awry. She has always struggled to control her telekinesis: the haphazard manifestations of her powers have long made her the subject of gossip - malicious neighbours even call her the Witch of Oldhouse. But Nina's life is about to change, for there is a new arrival in town: Hector Auvray, the renowned entertainer, who has used his own telekinetic talent to perform for admiring audiences around the world. Nina is dazzled by Hector, for he sees her not as a witch, but ripe with magical potential. Under his tutelage, Nina's talent blossoms - as does her love for the great man. But great romances are for fairy-tales, and Hector is hiding a secret bitter truth from Nina - and himself - that threatens their courtship. The Beautiful Ones is a charming tale of love and betrayal and the struggle between conformity and passion, set in a world where scandal is a razor-sharp weapon. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, the new book from Silvia Moreno-Garcia, is available to pre-order now.… (more)
Member:Cosmicpylons
Title:The Beautiful Ones
Authors:Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Info:Publisher Unknown, Kindle Edition, 320 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Silvia Moreno-Garcia captured the attention of the online book community at large with Mexican Gothic in 2020, but her brilliance didn’t start there. While not her debut, The Beautiful Ones is a book of particular note, managing to both entice and disgust in easy flourishes. This book has one of the best crafted villains I’ve ever read, and an ending I didn’t expect.

The Beautiful Ones is more magical realism than fantasy. It is a bit of romance and a bit of the unusual, but the cold steel heart of it is an examination of social structure and elitism and it is harsh. Harsh in the best way possible. Subjects such as old money vs. new money, decorum, family responsibility, and honor are all on bright display here. I love being able to fall into step with the characters, but also the ability to detach and watch the storylines play out to their own nefarious ends. I savored The Beautiful Ones in a way I did not expect.

All the characters are intriguing, although the contrast between Nina and Valerie was my favorite. Valerie was a surprise – not mentioned in the book’s description but a constant presence in its pages. What a good foil they are to one another! I think, in its depths, this is more Valerie’s book than Nina’s. I generally find the description misleading, as it is much less about Nina’s ability and more about the twisted relationships between various parties.

Without specifics, the scene at Clocktower Hill and leading up to it was my absolute favorite. I was so, so certain there would be a different outcome. No idea what I’m talking about? You’ll have to read the book to see.

The Beautiful Ones is an easy recommendation, particularly for those who enjoy period romances without too much steam and with a great deal of manipulation. I would read it again, and I have placed it on my long list of books I want to purchase in hardcopy. ( )
  Morteana | Sep 16, 2022 |
*I received an ecopy through Good reads First Reads, this does not affect my review in any way*

This is a alternate historical romance with a dash of fantasy thrown in. I really enjoyed reading this one, and the characters were all unique. This story was very character driven, but I didn't find it dull or hard to read. I enjoyed the plot, and the writing style was well done. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
What I find most fascinating of all is the dramatic difference between The Beautiful Ones and the first one I read by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Gods of Jade and Shadow is based in mythology; this one is a story very much of this earth. That being said, both books are about young, independent female protagonists - completely different from each other yet both on a journey of discovering and honoring their own strengths.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2021/12/the-beautiful-ones.html

Reviewed for NetGalley. ( )
  njmom3 | Dec 30, 2021 |
I absolutely loved Mexican Gothic and was excited to read another title by the same author, but now feel sadly let down by this earlier novel. The magical element - telekinesis - wasn't enough to lift what is basically an American soap opera above stereotypes and tropes. The characters are mostly one dimensional and unsympathetic, the setting is vague - the Belle Époque in a fictional country with French names but all the greed and brashness of American 'high society' - and the story far too slow and superficial. I kept falling asleep while reading, which is not a good sign!

Antonina Beaulieu, nicknamed the Witch of Oldhouse for her 'talent' of moving objects with her mind, is sent to stay with her cousin in the city to find a suitable match during the 'Grand Season'. Unfortunately, instead of falling for one of the charming but vapid suitors thrown at her because of their family name or wealth, Nina meets her match in Hector Auvray, a theatre performer who shares her talent - but who is also a former lover of her beautiful but bitter cousin, Valerie. And that's the plot in its entirety, bar a few magic tricks and a duel. Valerie is ridiculous, a Disney villainess hell bent on destroying her husband's family because she didn't have the strength of character to marry a poor man who loved her when she had the chance. Much is made of her blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty, yet Valerie lacks the depth of character to make her a satisfying antagonist. Even when the story is told from her perspective, the reader is left thinking, 'Get over yourself'. Nina isn't much better, described in terms of her dark hair and natural innocence, but at least she stands up for herself. Valerie is vindictive, Hector is weak and everyone is obsessed with family reputation and obeying society's rules, but more in the nouveau riche style of F Scott Fitzgerald than the established gentility of Jane Austen. And there isn't even a satisfying conclusion!

If there are any readers who think a death match between Anna Karenina and Gigi set amidst the hollow glamour of The Great Gatsby would make an exciting literary mash-up, then get stuck in, but for me and everyone else, I stick would stick with Mexican Gothic! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Sep 12, 2021 |
Love is a choice you make every single day, and Silvia Moreno-Garcia wrote such a beautiful novel based on this concept. This was such a fantastic romance and I really can’t say much more than that without getting into spoiler territory! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |

Moreno-Garcia, Silviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ochlan, P. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para mi abuela
Hector was like a castaway who had washed up on a room of velvet curtains and marble floors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,887,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible