dismiss

Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, Book 1) by David…

Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, Book 1) (original 1980; edition 1985)

by David Brin

Mankind encounters conflicts among the inhabitants of the universe, as brave individuals prepare to journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.
Member:Jisi
Title:Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, Book 1)
Authors:David Brin
Info:Spectra (1985), Mass Market Paperback, 352 Seiten
Rating:***

Sundiver by David Brin (1980)

Nimrod Hunt by Charles Sheffield (lesvrolyk)
    lesvrolyk: Tons of cool aliens!
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (LamontCranston)

English (49)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (52)
life forms in Sun
  ritaer | Jun 6, 2020 |
I greatly enjoyed re-reading this one. I did not notice a great difference from the 80's edition, but according to the author, that means he was successful in removing some overly 80's language. ( )
  Karlstar | May 28, 2020 |
2020 reread:
Boy, this was not at all the book that I thought that I remembered! I must have subconsciously recalled the main point as I did "figure out" many of the twists in the plot but I had forgotten the main framework of the story! I thought it was going to be about the dolphins not the 'Solarians' whose existence I didn't believe in until the very end of the book! I thought that they too were part of the hoax. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 29, 2020 |

A fun re-read of a childhood sci-fi favorite. I think I liked it better today as I could enjoy the psychological drama as opposed to simply the moments of hard sci-fi. I won't re-read Startide Rising or venture into his other books in this series, but I'm glad I had the chance to enjoy Sundiver again. ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
So so story with a few interesting concepts. ( )
  travelster | Jan 14, 2020 |

Brin, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (305)
... it is reasonable to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star. - A. S. Eddington, 1926
To my brothers Dan and Stan, to Arglebargle the IVth . . . and to somebody else.
"Makakai, are you ready?"
"Once a caveman, always a caveman, ejh LaRoque? Men get all the way to the sun, and they build a fire to stay warm!"

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,626,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible