Dark Saturday by Nicci French

Dark Saturday

by Nicci French

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Dark Saturday," the new Frieda Klein novel, is, like its predecessors, well-written but dark.

Frieda, a British psychotherapist, is asked to interview a twenty-eight-year-old psychiatric patient who, ten years previously, was convicted of murdering her family. Frieda, however, sees Hannah Docherty as a victim and sets out to explore her case.

Frequent readers of the Nicci French series know that Frieda seldom, if ever, agrees with the authority figures in her life and this is no exception. While the authorities want to assure themselves that the case was correctly handled, Frieda determines to find out exactly what happened.

The French novels are well written. The plots are well contrived, the characters both interesting and believable, but I find them to be unnecessarily dark. ( )
  dianaleez | Jun 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A teenager is convicted of the murder of her step-father, mother, and brother and comitted to a mental hospital. Frieda Klein, a psychotherapist, after a visit to the asylum where the now-woman is incarcerated, jumps to the conclusion that the teenager was not responsible for this 13-yr-old crime. It's not clear why Klein is convinced of her innocence, but she dives in to find out what really happened. There are many interviews with peripheral people and lots of shuffling documents. The book is sometimes a slog.
Because this is a later book in a series. there are many characters that a new-to-the-series reader would not recognize. There are too many characters altogether, most sketchily drawn; it's almost as if they are thrown in for no other reason than the authors are having a problem moving this story along. For example, one announces a cancer diagnosis but what purpose that serves for the plot is incomprehensible -- perhaps that will be significant in a later installment, but it's not fair to the readers of this one.
We are told over and over that Klein should not be involved, it's dangerous; we are told repeatedly that she is anxious about all of it -- and she also has to constantly worry about a man from earlier books who is stalking her. But we don't feel any of this anxiety. It's as if the authors just want us to take their word for it: This is bad, she's afraid -- so should the readers be. But that doesn't work in an effective novel.
The end is out of the blue, at least for me. ( )
  AnneWK | Jun 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It started very slow, I didn't like the writing style. Somehow boring but then at the very end it started to get faster and I loved the ending. I wish it had been a bit more interesting from the beginning i'd given it 4 stars. And it took me a while to finish it.

I was given this ARC for an honest review. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Jun 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a proof copy of this book through librarything.com. This was my first read of this author and although it is part of a series, it works as a standalone read. I plan to go back to the beginning of the series since I really enjoyed this one. This is the story of a psychotherapist who is investigating the case of a patient who was convicted of killing her family 13 years ago. But someone is trying to stop the investigation. Did the girl do it or was she framed? Interesting cast of characters and a cliff hanger ending that may be resolved in the next book in the series. ( )
  ewhatley | Jun 22, 2017 |
Dark Saturday by Nicci French is part of the Frieda Klein series. I haven't read any of the other five books in the series and that put me at a disadvantage. Through out the book the author kept mentioning incidents that happened previously. The problem with that is she didn't give the reader enough information to know what went on before.
Mr. French also loves to describe things in detail. For me it was way too much. A little over half way through the book I felt the author was setting the reader up for her next one. The only reason I read the story to the end was because of the Hannah Docherty story line. If the book was just about the Docherty murders I would have give the book 5 stars.
If you're a reader who has read the previous books and who likes a lot of description the I say this is your kind of book. For everyone else I would say give this book only because the Hannah story line was so good. ( )
  bah195 | Jun 22, 2017 |

One of the world’s most acclaimed suspense writers, Nicci French delivers a fascinating story of old sins and fresh blood—a riveting thriller perfect for fans of Gilly Macmillan, Jane Shemilt, and Fiona Barton.

She hadn’t realized the stabbing was happening, even though it was with her own knife. She’d stolen it and kept it beneath her mattress and brought it with her, tucked in her waistband. But it has all gone wrong…

A decade ago, eighteen-year-old Hannah Docherty was arrested for the brutal murder of her family. It was an open-and-shut case, and Hannah's been incarcerated in a secure psychiatric hospital ever since.

When psychotherapist Frieda Klein is asked to meet Hannah and give her assessment, she reluctantly agrees. But what she finds horrifies her. Hannah has become a tragic figure, old before her time. And Frieda is haunted by the thought that Hannah might be as much of a victim as her family—that something wasn't right all those years ago.

As Hannah's case takes hold of her, Frieda begins to realize that she's up against someone who will go to any lengths to keep the truth from surfacing—even kill again.

Utterly compelling and enthralling, Nicci French’s thriller takes readers down a labyrinthine trail of secrets, suspense, and murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 16 Feb 2017 14:56:08 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nicci French's book Dark Saturday is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible