The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (The…

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (The World's Best Reading) (original 1892; edition 1987)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Fred Strebeigh (Afterword), Richard Lebenson (Illustrator)

Series: Sherlock Holmes (3)

A collection of Sherlock Holmes mystery adventures, including "A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Red-headed League," and "The Adventure of the Speckled Band."
Member:bmusser
Title:The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (The World's Best Reading)
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Other authors:Fred Strebeigh (Afterword), Richard Lebenson (Illustrator)
Info:Reader's Digest Association, Inc. (1987), Hardcover, 270 pages

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1892)

English (196)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (209)
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 1, 2021 |
Holmes and Watson come alive in short stories. Someone (who, I wish I'd recall) once said that if you only read Agatha Christie's short stories, and Conan Doyle's novels, you'd think both were terrible writers. It certainly seems true in Conan Doyle's case (from the two I've read thus far).

Either way, of the twelve stories in this collection, all of them are quite enjoyable. They showcase a slightly more even relationship between the two heroes, as well as featurnig a varied array of guest characters, and mysteries which Conan Doyle easily shifts from political intrigue, to international conspiracy, to simple mistaken identity. In fact, the only story that I don't think really works anymore is "The Five Orange Pips" - and this is only because it has dated to the point where the killer's identity was something new and curious in the 1800s, but is now quite commonly known by most Westerners, meaning that most readers will probably catch on from about page three.

After this, I have renewed vigour to move on to the 4th of Holmes' 9-book canon. We'll see! ( )
  therebelprince | Jun 24, 2021 |
Includes: A scandal in Bohemia; The Red-headed League; The five orange pips; The blue caruncle; The speckled band; The beryl coronet; The hound of the Baskervilles.
  Gmomaj | May 10, 2021 |
I have been re-reading the whole Holmes canon and this is the third installment. While I enjoyed A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four very much, I feel that this is where Doyle really got a handle on these characters and the way to tell these stories. It may well be that Holmes and Watson are better suited to the short story format than the novel/novella format.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of very different stories, ranging from a rather light hearted jilted lover mystery that introduces Holmes to one of the few people to ever best him, to a dark and deadly entanglement with the KKK in which Holmes can be said to cross a line by threatening his adversary with death. What happens? Read the stories. They are fantastic. Every one of them clever and varied and every one with a master's touch.

I also must praise this edition. If you are going to e-read this then get the Top 5 edition. It is very well done with lots of original illustrations that made the stories even more fun to read. If buying a stand alone e-book, I would get no other edition. ( )
2 vote ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
I'm not sure that I'd ever actually read this book all the way through as some of the cases were not familiar to me, which made it quite an exciting prospect for me.

It proved to be yet another excellent installment in the Sherlock Holmes series. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
'You have the grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.'
'I think, Watson, that you are now standing in the presence of one of the most absolute fools in Europe. I deserve to be kicked from here to Charing Cross.'
'Crime is common. Logic is rare.'
'Data! data! data!' he cried impatiently. 'I can't make bricks without clay.'
'If I claim full justice for my art, it is because it is an impersonal thing – a thing beyond myself. Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. You have degraded what should have been a course of lectures into a series of tales.'
This is the main work for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original collection of 12 short stories. Examples of this work include the Oxford World's Classics edition (ISBN 0192835084), the Scholastic Classics edition (ISBN 0439574285), Books of Wonder #0001 (ISBN 9780688107826). Be careful not to combine with omnibus editions that contain other works, as they sometimes carry the same title as this work, or with adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Contents:
  11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
  12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------
From the first page:
(From the Red-Headed League)

Sherlock Holmes shook his head with a smile. "Beyond the obvious facts that our visitor has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

"How did you know all that, Mr Holmes?" our visitor asked?

"Your hands, my dear sir. Your right hand is a size larger than your left. I won't insult your intelligence about the snuff and the Freemasonary, especially as, against the strict rules of your order, you wear a breastpin."

"But the writing?"

"Your right cuff is shiny for five inches, and your left has a smooth patch near the elbow ehre you lean it on the desk."

"But China?"

"The tattooed fish above your right wrist could only have come from China."

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141045167, 0241952905

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832580, 1907832599

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,336,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible