Queer, There, and Everywhere: 23 People Who…

Queer, There, and Everywhere: 23 People Who Changed the World (edition 2018)

by Sarah Prager (Author)

1967111,262 (3.95)None
A New York Public Library Best Book of 2017 A Chicago Public Library Best of the Best Book for Teens 2017 This first-ever LGBTQ history book of its kind for young adults will appeal to fans of fun, empowering pop-culture books like Rad American Women A-Z and Notorious RBG. Three starred reviews! World history has been made by countless lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer individuals--and you've never heard of many of them. Queer author and activist Sarah Prager delves deep into the lives of 23 people who fought, created, and loved on their own terms. From high-profile figures like Abraham Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt to the trailblazing gender-ambiguous Queen of Sweden and a bisexual blues singer who didn't make it into your history books, these astonishing true stories uncover a rich queer heritage that encompasses every culture, in every era. By turns hilarious and inspiring, the beautifully illustrated Queer, There, and Everywhere is for anyone who wants the real story of the queer rights movement. A Junior Library Guild Selection… (more)
Member:KelseyPedersenXRDN
Title:Queer, There, and Everywhere: 23 People Who Changed the World
Authors:Sarah Prager (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2018), Edition: Illustrated, 272 pages

Work Information

Queer, There, and Everywhere: 23 People Who Changed the World by Sarah Prager

Explores how varied gender and sexuality have been central parts of history. In brief but engaging overviews, this book highlights the significant contributions of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual individuals to world history. Includes Glossary, Learn More, Bibliography
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
A fantastic, informational book about the many, many queer people throughout history. ( )
  m_mozeleski | Aug 22, 2020 |
3.5 stars

This was a fascinating, fun, quick read. I highly enjoyed it, although I did find the writing style to be a bit juvenile.

RTC?? ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
Loved the content of this book. I thought the writing was a little juvenile and I wanted to know more about the people she profiled, but overall I enjoyed it. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
I am a fan of reading the inside front flaps of books. Sometimes I'll be enticed to read a book after perusing the back cover, but I have found that the back covers usually presents a synopsis rather than a selling point, a hook, if you will. Sarah Prager's final line of her inside flap write-up reads, "not only have queer people always existed, they have thrived." After reading this and immediately thinking, "right?!," I knew this would be a book worth reading.
I will admit that the "23 People Who Changed the World" portion of the title perturbed me for a moment. Why couldn't Prager slim it down to an even 20, or find two more extraordinary figures (who I know exist/existed) to make it a nice 25?. And then I got it...23...the 23rd pair of chromosomes...that's what determines a person's gender. I mean, talk about clever! The juxtaposition of the biological determination of our gender intertwined with the same number of people's amazing stories about how they would or would not conform with their "assigned" 23rd chromosome, this was surely a sign of some good writing to come!
Prager compiled a set of collective biographies of 23 people who, in their own unique ways like their own unique selves, paved the way for queer people from all perspectives. The book tells the queer stories of so many different kinds of people, like a Roman emperor, a Mexican nun, our own President Lincoln, pioneers in gender reassignment surgeries, athletes, artists, a Holocaust survivor, and even a NYC friar and victim of 9/11. The possibility that anyone could ever try to label these astonishing activists into one category baffles me. They are/were their own individual personalities with their own individual identities and have each played a significant role in the long-overdue justice to all people who may not fit into societal "norms."
Prager's writing style is simple, deliberate, heart-wrenching at times, and sometimes even a little quirky. She throws in her own modern nuances now and again, which I assume helps to gear this towards a young adult level book. When I first began reading, I thought it would be suitable for middle and high school level readers, but as I continued, I decided that middle school readers may not be ready for this. Not because of the subject matter, but simply because of the sometimes disturbing incidents that some of these people had to endure. I would still highly recommend this book to live on bookshelves everywhere. It is not a difficult read because each person's story is so different and each chapter is only a few pages long. Wonderfully-written book by an author who knows how to give the reader just enough details to inform, and then maybe even want join in the next march! ( )
1 vote rbmckenna1121 | Apr 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,950,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible