Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani

Pashmina (edition 2017)

by Nidhi Chanani (Author)

194887,425 (3.69)4
Member:compskibook
Title:Pashmina
Authors:Nidhi Chanani (Author)
Info:First Second (2017), 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani

Beautiful story that I want to read again immediately. Art is gorgeous with some lush colors. Characters are endearing and believable. Really top notch comic. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
This book did nothing for me. I did not care about the bratty teen protagonist, and I would much rather have seen either the mother's or aunt's story brought to the center of the book. I intensely dislike dream sequences, and most of the color fantasy sequences smacked of useless dream sequences to me. The tiny little glossary in the back barely scratched the surface of the questions I had about the terminology, concepts and cultural points of view presented in the book. Perhaps I didn't fully understand what I was reading or I was not the intended audience. Regardless, I made no connection with the material. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This YA graphic novel follows teenager Priyanka Das as she tries to discover who her father was, why her mother left India, and who Priyanka wants to be. A magical shawl figures into all this in a most excellent and intriguing way. The art is nice and comes particularly alive in the full-color sequences involving the shawl. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jun 25, 2018 |
My first Read Harder 2018 book! This was my choice for task #8, a comic written or illustrated by a person of color. Though I try to read about other cultures, I do have a tendency to get the terms for things mixed up. I do this with my own mix of Cuban and American things, routinely forgetting what my mom calls some things in Spanish while others are burned into my brain. That said, I had forgotten that a pashmina is kind of scarf. Okay, that's not really what the word means, but google pashmina and you'll find cashmere scarves. The word itself is a derivative of the Persian word for wool according to a few websites. In the story, it's a specific wrap, the one wrapped around our protagonist on the cover.

I had originally expected pashmina to be the name of our protagonist, which is actually Priyanka. She's an Indian-American teenager plagued by not quite knowing her whole story and feeling incomplete on account of it. She has a mysterious father that her mom won't tell her about, nor will she do anything to promote Priyanka's image of India. She has an uncle and aunt that she loves but is selfish with them. And then Priyanka finds the pashmina.

First of all, I love the art. The comic itself is primarily in black and white. Color comes in at special moments and in special places and offers this ethereal feeling that plays perfectly into the plot of the story.

The story itself follows a fairly typical coming-of-age narrative where the protagonist has something missing and must go in search of it, without her normal comforts of home. I adore the way the story affects more than just the protagonist too. Once I got to the end, I was smitten with not only Priyanka's journey but with Shakti as well. The concept of the pashmina is wonderful. I wish it were real.

I also loved the inclusion of all the Indian foods they ate, terms for things and the glossary in the back. It's often a sign to me of things not actually written in Miami when writers miss the little things, like Vicky Bakery or Cuban coffee or the absolute density of Hispanic people of many backgrounds in Miami. It's also in all those words that are better in Spanish than English or at least more precise and that no one uses the English word for down there. I imagine that Chanani included the terms that felt natural to her and the characters ate typical foods for first or second generation Americans. I know I eat a lot of Cuban food whenever I can, but my son hasn't quite found a fondness yet, while other family members never stray from a more Cuban diet.

Altogether, I really enjoyed the comic! It had a solid message and I hope more people find it. I know it was on several other lists for this year's Read Harder Challenge, so I'm sure it's going to be a popular comic for a while. ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |
This book is just lovely—part fantasy, part heartfelt family story. Much like the movie version of The Wizard of Oz, the "real-world" sequences are in monochrome and the pashmina sequences are in full, saturated color. Not only is it physically beautiful, but it's emotionally beautiful as well.

My only quibble is that Priyanka seems more like a young teen than the seventeen- or eighteen-year-old she's supposed to be. On the plus side, that makes the work suitable for and appealing to a younger reader than it might otherwise. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |

Indian-American teen, Priyanka "Pri" Das, attempts to reconnect with her mother's homeland through a magical pashmina shawl. Presented in comic book format. Priyanka Das has so many unanswered questions: Why did her mother abandon her home in India years ago? What was it like there? And most importantly, who is her father, and why did her mom leave him behind? But Pri's mom avoids these questions and the topic of India is permanently closed. For Pri, her mother's homeland can only exist in her imagination. That is, until she find a mysterious pashmina tucked away in a forgotten suitcase. When she wraps herself in it, she is transported to a place more vivid and colorful than any guidebook or Bollywood film.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,261,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible