Household Tales by Brothers Grimm by Jacob…

Household Tales by Brothers Grimm (edition 2012)

by Jacob Grimm

4851921,184 (3.81)9
Title:Household Tales by Brothers Grimm
Authors:Jacob Grimm
Info:CreateSpace (2012), Paperback, 174 pages
Tags:Fairy Tales, Ebook

Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm

I'm taking an online class in fantasy and science fiction, so am re-reading a lot of favorite novels. In the coming weeks, I'll post my essays for the class. This one is about Grimm's fairy tales: Several stories in the Grimm collection seem to take inspiration from the directive in the Old Testament, "... entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares" (Hebrews 13:2). Read the rest at: http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-spend-some-time-entertaining-angels.... ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Jul 19, 2014 |
Ah yes - a book of fairytales, with pictures! Some stories are excellent, others, only indifferent. But, these are not Disney stories. The people in this book are sometimes bullies or thiefs or princesses or princesses. Highly recommended for any lover of fairy-tales. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 24, 2014 |
(I read this for Coursera's SF&F class, taught by Prof. Eric S. Rabkin.)

These were pretty interesting, in general. Some of the stories were dull, some were fun, some were odd, some were familiar, and some were new to me--quite a mixed bag. I'm glad I read them, though.

I enjoyed most stories like "Six Soldiers of Fortune" and "The Gallant Tailor", where the protagonist wins his fortune through cleverness and guile. It was fun, too, to read stories I was already familiar with, in these versions, such as the aforementioned "The Gallant Tailor", or "Aschenputtel", or "Little Red Cap".

We were to write an essay on this for the class, and I wrote about gender roles in the stories--in particular, that ambition is rewarded in men but punished in women.

In all, I think this was a great way to start a class on science fiction and fantasy, and well worth reading for anyone interested in fairy tales. ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 4, 2014 |
Read for the Coursera Fantasy & Science Fiction course -- which I think it going to be interesting, perhaps especially because I'm not sure I agree with the set texts or with the course description. Anyway, the Grimms' fairytales are obviously classics, and worth reading for that, though the selection here includes some very similar stories. And, of course, the same kind of logic is shared by most fairytales, so it's similar in that way too. Some of the illustrations in this version are quite lovely, though. ( )
  shanaqui | Sep 29, 2013 |
I was ecstatic when I found this book in my late teens. The Grimm tales are familiar yet completely different from the watered down Disney versions I grew up with. Being a sucker for happy endings and medieval romance, I was shocked by the graphic horrors that awaited my beloved fantastic creatures. Even so, due to their nature the stories and morals have stuck with me into my twenties. I love this collection; the stories and the illustrations make this item a treasure! ( )
  juliemarie27 | Sep 27, 2013 |

Jacob Grimmprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crane, LucyTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peake, MervynIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

53 classic stories include "Rumpelstiltskin," "Rapunzel," "Hansel and Gretel," "The Fisherman and his Wife," "Snow White," "Tom Thumb," "Sleeping Beauty," "Cinderella," and so many more. Lavishly illustrated with original 19th-century drawings by Walter Crane. 114 illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

Includes such well-known titles as "Rapunzel," "Snow White," and "Sleeping Beauty" as well as lesser known tales such as "The Little Farmer," and "The Golden Bird." Illustrations are by Walter Crane.

2 wanted3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,816,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible