Household Tales by Brothers Grimm by Jacob…

Household Tales by Brothers Grimm (edition 2012)

by Jacob Grimm

Member:cassandragleason
Title:Household Tales by Brothers Grimm
Authors:Jacob Grimm
Info:CreateSpace (2012), Paperback, 174 pages
Tags:Fairy Tales, Ebook

Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm

Read for coursera Fantasy and Science Fiction, using Project Gutenberg version of this edition.

These stories are definitely not the kids versions--stepmothers trying to kill their stepchildren, people being punished by being put into casks with knives stuck through them and then rolled down hills, etc etc.

But some of these stories are just silly and fine for kids--like Hans in Luck.

Having done a bit of reading on how the Grimms selected their tales, I found that they chose traditional German tales, rejecting others as French or Norwegian. Some (and not just the Bremen Town Musicians) are associated with specific towns/regions in Germany, where they are still celebrated. http://gogermany.about.com/od/sightsandattractions/a/faiyrtaleroad.htm ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed this compilation of fairy tales for many reasons. First, I have always loved fairy tales and their traditional nature. I like that these stories have been passed down and adapted over numerous cultures and generations. I think being familiar with the disney version or child-friendly version of many famous fairy tales, I forgot how graphic many of them are. Secondly, this particular collection of fairy tales included some of my favorite such as Rapunzel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and many more. Therefore, I enjoyed being able to read some of my favorite pieces of traditional literature in one book. Another reason I enjoyed this book was it readability. This book could definitely be used in late elementary school with teacher guidance and I like that it was a little bit challenging and would encourage the students to use higher level thinking skills. The main idea of this story is to have a large collection of popular fairy tales in once place that many people can enjoy together. ( )
  skres1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I personally enjoyed this book myself. As I did research on the book and read many reviews I noticed a lot of individuals did not like this book. They believed it was immoral and destroys children's classics. I believe these two things are what makes this book as interesting as it is for older elementary school students. Stories like Cinderella told in a completely different like makes the book intriguing, engaging, and broadens readers horizons. This book works for 5th, 6th graders due to them being at a stage where they do not want to be look at as a kid, they are at a very rebellious stage and what better way to be rebellious than to enjoy the twisted fairy tales you grew up on? This book is a crazily interesting vivid book, to give readers the perfect imagery. The main idea leaves readers wondering are the fairy tales we grew up on really the true stories. ( )
  kwalke18 | Mar 24, 2016 |
Quite the odd collection of tales. I read it as a requirement for an online Coursera course on fantasy and science fiction. Some have a moral while others do not seem to as far as I can tell. Since I was reading them as literature, I did find a number of the tales thought provoking and worth discussion and analysis. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed the characters because I felt that they all had layers upon themselves that even in little short stories they had many different sides to themselves. Like the frog in the first story who had been so cruel to the young princess for so long until she got fed up with his bullying. She then threw him against a wall and then the frog turning into a man that was so sorry for his behavior since he was bewitched. I like that they were able to show many different sides to the characters. What I wasn't so fond of was the writing at some points because I understand that this is a comprise of many short stories, but it just seemed that the stories were too short as if only a page or two and they were trying to fit so much information in at once. It was just hard to try and fit such a complex story in such a short amount of space. ( )
  mhartz4 | Mar 10, 2016 |

Jacob Grimmprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crane, LucyTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peake, MervynIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

53 classic stories include "Rumpelstiltskin," "Rapunzel," "Hansel and Gretel," "The Fisherman and his Wife," "Snow White," "Tom Thumb," "Sleeping Beauty," "Cinderella," and so many more. Lavishly illustrated with original 19th-century drawings by Walter Crane. 114 illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

Includes such well-known titles as "Rapunzel," "Snow White," and "Sleeping Beauty" as well as lesser known tales such as "The Little Farmer," and "The Golden Bird." Illustrations are by Walter Crane.

5 wanted3 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,164,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible